Finishing insecticide spray

Submitted by Sandy on 03/19/2004 at 19:02. ( chase128@comcast.net ) 209.26.115.94

Recently I've seen finishing insecticide sprays, could anyone advise if they are worth the money the suppliers want? Is there a 'homemade' version that works well? If the hides are well tanned, preserved etc. what is the purpose served by this final spray?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

bugs!

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 03/19/2004 at 19:15. ( mhoneyATmindspring.com ) 207.69.13.92

Sandy, I spray every mount with Mountshield as part of the finish work. Cleans the hair some and leaves a nice smell as well as some residule repellant value. There is nothing about the modern taxidermy method that guarantees that bugs will not eat a mount. By spraying each mount I know that when it leaves my shop nothing will ride home with it and I advise my customers to treat them every 3 months or so. I have had one customer lose a deer mount to moths which I had mounted about 18 months before, another guy I know lost 5 deer, an elk and a bobcat (not my mounts). Neither of these guys treated or even cleaned their investments. Now, homemade stuff? I don't know of any but there are alternatives that are cheaper- but no guarantees that the hair won't discolor. I figure to be safe use something designed for the job so I build it into my pricing. --Enjoy, Aaron H.

I don't know what is in....

This response submitted by Griz on 03/19/2004 at 19:29. ( ) 69.66.86.203

I don't know what is in the supply companies' fly spray but if it is pyrethrin, you can get a very large aerosol can of it at farm supply stores for a lil over 10 dollars. It is usually called a dairy bomb. It is safe to use right in the milk rooms of dairy barns so it is non toxic enough to get approved. Also if it is a permethrin they usually have that too, in concentrated form of about a quart, which is mixed in about 125 gallons of water to spray on horses or cows to repel flies lice and ticks. It is about 20-25 dollars. As for the actual NEED for it i have no idea.

Return to Beginners Category Menu