First wt mount

Submitted by sandy on 03/22/2004 at 01:38. ( sandrica@mail.com ) 170.224.224.38

Any critics wanting to look at these pics? All criticts welcome.
Thanks, Sandy

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=545412070105&page=1&sort_order=0

Return to Beginners Category Menu

A few things

This response submitted by Vic on 03/22/2004 at 08:02. ( ) 209.83.14.243

What bothers me the most is the lip line. It looks like there is black paint along the whole line. If that's the case and it was caused from the lips pulling, then try a smaller lip slot and get the lips tucked tight.The only apoxie work should be a small area above the bottom lip.
Eyes- The back corner looks like it was painted with a point. Not typical but could be for your deer.If not you should be able to take a soft brush or finger nail and brush the excess paint off. Good photos will show a more rounded back corner.The point if the paint isn't on the hair, could be caused from pulling the eye back to far. It also looks like the upper lids could be pulled down over the eye a bit more. Once again, good pictures will show how the lashes lay.
Ears- Look a bit ragged. Don't know what you used but for now I would mist them just enough to brush the hair from base twards the tip,so it isn't sticking out.
Nostrils- Looks like there is paint on the outer edge, where hair should be. Hate to say it but pictures will show you how much foam to take out.
Over all not bad. Don't take this as a total negetive. I find it's easier to improve if you get critique early on. You know the saying.......old habits are hard to break. Trust me it's true.
Take care, Vic

Forget the nostrils

This response submitted by Vic on 03/22/2004 at 08:08. ( ) 209.83.14.243

on the last post. I went and looked again and it looks like the hair is ok, but the shape is off a bit.
One?- Are the tear ducts tucked at all? Hard to tell from the pic for sure.

VIC

This response submitted by Sandy on 03/22/2004 at 08:48. ( sandrica@mail.com ) 66.119.34.39

The lower lip did pull out some but his lower lip had still a lot of black coloring and we did touch it up with paint, But didn't know what else to do at this point. It also retained a lot of the black color in some spots and not others, we just weren't quite sure at that point. eyes, not painted, he looks like he has eyeliner on:) made it hard to do eyes on the first one. His markings on the backside of the eye I dont see on anyother deer around here that i can find mounted. One ears-when they have a natural cowlick type thing going on is it personal preference to leave them matched? sticking out like that? For that nose...man, yes they are tucked and quite nicely in that area, but that pink that came with this kit...should have just left it out..We would like it out now and maybe will try to work on that.
Thanks for all the comments and yes the mannakin was kust a little tight about 8" down the neck.Sandy

Pink

This response submitted by Vic on 03/22/2004 at 10:07. ( ) 209.83.14.214

Glad you took the critisism the way you did! Just tone the pink down with some brown.Or VERY lightly with black if you don't have brown.
It's hard to change ears that are cowlick type. I like them flowing from bottom to tip but that's just me. Speaking of finishing work........back at it for me. Hard to keep motivated when it comes to that ):

Forget the deer

This response submitted by The Rookie on 03/22/2004 at 11:55. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 152.163.252.193

I like the crappie mount! If you did that then I say," Good job". I've been thinking about doing one like that recently. Seriously though, I think you just need some good reference and you'll be on your way. If this is the Sandy from S. Indiana we missed you in Columbus. Maybe next year. Good Luck! Jeff F.

sorry rookie

This response submitted by sandy on 03/22/2004 at 13:25. ( sandrica@mail.com ) 216.148.244.38

only caught those crappies. Not the Sandy from Indiana either. Minnesota here. Does anyone know what the best angle or distance is to take a pic of the mount for viewing on the internet? I'm not attempting to defend the flaws in this mount, but it's like the flash or something is taking away his dimension. I used zoom..Looking at him here just isn't the same as the pic i guess.
Thanks again Vic. I think we are just going to try to get that bubblegum out of his nose (but not today). The nose really had depth before trying our skill at that pink...now it looks like it's plugged with bubblegum...I'll try the brown first and see. Thanks again very much. Sandy

Return to Beginners Category Menu