How to mount an Aoudad? --preparing the skull/horns

Submitted by Sam Kelley on 06/04/2004 at 10:57. ( texas1trapper@yahoo.com ) 198.215.8.193

Is there any way someone could instruct me on how to prepare and mount the skull/horns of an aoudad for a shoulder mount? I have done many deer, but I know that antler is different than horn (horn is living tissue), and I assume you don't just bolt the skull plate to the form. The skull with horns intact has been packed in salt and set in the sun for about 5 months, and still smells to high heaven. I am not sure whether to boil the whole thing, just the skull part, how long etc. I have the cape ready, but I am sure at a loss on proper technique from here.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Look up ram horn in the archive

This response submitted by Old Man on 06/04/2004 at 12:21. ( ) 63.241.157.113

It is the same process

Soak it

This response submitted by Superpig on 06/04/2004 at 13:23. ( ) 64.12.116.144

It will stink to high heaven too, but it will desolve the tissue between the horncore and the outer hornsheath. Depending on how warm it is where you are at it shouldn't take but a few weeks now for them to come off. After you get them off rinse them out with clean water and let them sit in the sun for drying.

Here is what you need to do..........

This response submitted by Jeff Zion on 06/06/2004 at 21:51. ( jeffstax@rionet.cc ) 208.190.164.143

You will need to remove the horns from the boney inner core. Wash the horns inside & out with a good antibacterial soap. Use a scrub brush! Cut off all of the core except for about six inches, boil the skull cap to remove any remaining tissue. Let the horns & core dry out for a week or two & then mount. You can reattach horns before mounting or after with your choice of glue or epoxy. I prefer after. Good luck.

When removing the horns

This response submitted by Texbeginner on 06/19/2004 at 06:22. ( ) 158.116.158.130

When removing the horns do you just pull them off or do they have to soak the skull? Also how do you dry them, in salt or just out in the sun?

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Beginners Category Menu