ear carding

Submitted by dave on 07/21/2004 at 11:03. ( ) 216.56.60.34

will be trying Epo-Grip as an adhesive on some McKenzie ear liners. My question is: What is the best method for securing my ear cards. I have always stapled (I have been using a dextrine base glue) in the past. I'm concerned that the epoxy will bond to the staples making removel difficult. I did try the archives but could not find an answer. Thanks,

Dave

Return to Beginners Category Menu

It wont hold the staples

This response submitted by Joe V on 07/21/2004 at 11:32. ( ) 63.241.157.113

I have use epo and staples and it will not hold the staples. You can still easily pull them out. I card my ears with large binder clips. just make sure you have the clip on the carding and not the skin. If the binder clip is on the skin it will leave an indentation. I card my ears with cardboard so that the ear has a little cushion between it and the clip. They work excellent and leave no holes.

works for me

This response submitted by Jerry C on 07/21/2004 at 13:00. ( ) 69.169.228.82

I use adhesive caulk in the ear with a "celastic" ear liner. Then I use a trimmed celastic earliner and staple it to the ear as a card. I wouldn't use staples for competition, however, as they leave little holes. The trimmed liner can be reused again and again.

No staples for me

This response submitted by George on 07/21/2004 at 13:21. ( georoof@aol.com ) cache-mtc-ac13.proxy.aol.com

That was what we did in the 50's. The Epo-Grip eliminates MOST of the carding requirements anyway, but instead of staples try this.

Go to a hobby store and buy a couple of sheets of that plastic mesh used in those yarn art kits (similar to fish fin carding). Cut them so as to have 2 inch cresents that will fit along the ear edges. Then buy a bag of wooden clothes pins (the spring type). Card the edges of the ears and use the clothes pins as their jaws are over 2 inches deep. There will be no pin/stapel holes to worry about or repair.

thanks for all the help

This response submitted by Dave on 07/21/2004 at 16:40. ( ) 216.56.60.34

I'm anxious to try the Epo-Grip. I did think of using clips or clothes pins, but was not sure if the would be strong enough. I'll give them a try! Thanks again,

Dave

Don't use the plastic mesh for carding

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 07/21/2004 at 23:13. ( ) 155.84.101.2

Someone suggested using the plastic mesh, don't do it! If the hair is damp at all, the mesh will leave imprints. It can be combed out, but takes time. And, if your deer ear has some naked areas, then the mesh will leave bad cross hatchings in the skin, that are impossible to remove, due to the epoxy glue your using.

Card the ears with something smooth, waxed poster board, plastic, etc., works great. Take the carding off the next morning, so the hair can dry.

Or

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 07/22/2004 at 01:01. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) cache-rm02.proxy.aol.com

Use the Epo-Grip 7-10 min. epoxy. But..you better make sure the ear is in place and formed properly before that time is up. I tried it but switched to the slow set.(3-4 hours) I like a little more time to make sure I like how everything looks. Jeff F.

What kind of plastic are you using

This response submitted by George on 7/22/04 at 10:27 AM. ( ) cache-dtc-ac14.proxy.aol.com

Like Jeff said, I use the Liquid Fast Set that has an ear DONE in less than 10 minutes. The plastic mesh I use is just for that razor thin edge along the ear and I've certainly never experienced any mesh marks. Now if you use some other glue besides the Epo-Grip mentioned in the original post, I'm sure there's that possibility.

Return to Beginners Category Menu