Difference between wet and dry tanned?

Submitted by ATM on 8/27/04 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.235

Hello,

quick question, what is the difference between a wet and dry commercially tanned cape? Which way are most capes done?

Thanks.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Wet Tan vs Dry Tan

This response submitted by James Parrish on 8/27/04 at 11:12 PM. ( ) 68.156.52.144

I'm not an expert as I generally tan my own. Dry tanned items come back to you dried. They don't have to be shipped or stored frozen. An example of a dry tanned item is a wall hanger fur. This tan is used for skins to be mounted as well. Wet tanned skins come back to you frozen. Generally, all you have to do to a wet taned skin prior to mounting is run it over the fleshing machine (if needed), rinse, drain, and mount.

Tan

This response submitted by ATM on 8/27/04 at 11:22 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.235

Thanks! I have only used dry tanned capes then. Wasn't sure what they were as I didn't know what it meant. thanks again. I will stick to dry since storage of wet would be a problem for me.

I told you

This response submitted by Frank Twoballs on 8/28/04 at 6:28 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.143

it would make you feel better to help someone instead of bickering about our messed up gov.

looks to me...

This response submitted by Griz on 8/28/04 at 6:47 PM. ( ) 69.66.35.248

that it got answered pretty quickly after it got asked. Oh and it also appears you posted here before you posted the other comment about bickering.

but to answer your question- wet tanned is tanned but wet. dry tanned is tanned but dried. I tan my own but i have always mounted them wet.

Return to Beginners Category Menu