Can someone help me with pricing my bear taxidermy?

Submitted by Blake on 9/14/04 at 12:26 AM. ( caznblakep@Yahoo.com ) 67.173.93.37

Hi, my name is Blake.
My family recieved a gift a few years back, of a black bear on some sort of habitat mount. It looks real good, the fur is in perfect condition, and there is a glass case that covers it. The bear is what I believe to be a young adult, at around 5.5 feet long and about 4 feet high.
I'm selling my house, and I want to get rid of the taxidermy, but I have no idea how much it's worth. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Blake

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Blake, you're about to get an education you don't want

This response submitted by George on 9/14/04 at 8:55 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.142

Taxidermy is "priceless" on both ends of the scale. To the hunter who takes the animal, no worth could be put on the memories evoked by just looking at that trophy each day. Conversely, hunters who DON'T take the animal or uninterested parties find the mount useless and of no value. You MIGHT be able to find a local hunting supply store who'd be willing to give you something for the mount (The glass case would be a plus here), but I seriously doubt you'll EVER find anyone who'd pay anything close to what the mount originally cost the hunter to begin with which on the TOP end of quality and workmanship would be in the $3000 to $4000 category probably.

Return to Beginners Category Menu