Preserving a slug

Submitted by Laurie (UK) on 9/14/04 at 4:39 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

My nephew (3) has asked to preserve a slug for him! Although a bit strange but obviously fine detail can be added to ground work creating character. Can anyone please help advise me on the best method for my problem?

Thank you in advance.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

wow

This response submitted by jon on 9/14/04 at 8:03 AM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy.com ) 68.184.178.161

I have made them out of Apoxie Sculp before.. hehe but never tried to preserve one. I'd certainly think you WOULDN"T want to salt it.

Good Luck
Jon

Trial and error

This response submitted by Laurie (UK) on 9/14/04 at 8:44 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Jon,

Having pondered the problems of moulding, I assumed that a soft sided mould would release the cast with less trouble (as apposed to the traditional plaster of paris), although I think that it would need some creative modelling to reproduce the anntennia. Conversely, I thought that I could open up the slug, clean out the insides, replace with something and soak it in a formaldehyde solution. The problem will be keeping the surface texture. I will give it a try and let you know how I got on.

Thanks

Laurie

A SLUG? Conventional Taxidermy? LMAO

This response submitted by George on 9/14/04 at 8:50 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.141

A slug is a mass of gelatonous blob whose outer "skin" is more of a mucous membrane than conventional epidermis. IF you froze it, you're going to get distortion and certainly none of the antennae detail. You should already know what happens to slugs when in contact with salt (I love doing that, the nasty little bastards hang around my deck at night and only one or two things is worse than stepping on a slug with bare feet). Jon nailed it as usually. MAKE a reproduction.

Slug

This response submitted by Laurie on 9/14/04 at 11:07 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Thank you for your responses, I will try to cast the slug. Do you have any solutions for worms? (earth worms as our dogs have had their worming tablets recently!).

It might look like I have an insect fasination but I have only been practicing taxidermy for 4 months now and there is much to learn ;-)

Uh Laurie, you need to read up on biology a little

This response submitted by George on 9/14/04 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.141

Earthworms and intestinal tract worms aren't even in the same universe. Intestinal parasites usually come from eating fleas and ticks. Some people actually eat earthworms and they cause no problems. Many survival experts recommend them for sustinance.

Much amusement

This response submitted by Laurie on 9/14/04 at 11:40 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Having read the message I posted in the cold light of day, I can understand why you made your comment - it does distinctly read that I think that my dogs have been infested with earth worms. I can honestly say that I laughed for 5 minutes. I think that I should re-pose my question (ignoring anything to do with dogs and digestion). What is the best method for reproducing an earth worm? Are reproduction insects available commercially in the USA or UK?

Many thanks

Laurie

Check Breakthrough Magazine if you have it

This response submitted by George on 9/14/04 at 1:10 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.141

They recently did an article about an articulated robin skeleton pulling an earthworm out of the soil. It was all made with Apoxie or a similar epoxy sculpting medium.

Inject the slug slowly.

This response submitted by John C on 9/14/04 at 1:34 PM. ( ) 66.233.156.237

Use formlin or Denatured Alc. to kill the slug, of you have aluminum sulphate a little bowl of it mixed with water will kill the slime.

Rinse the slime totally off.

Use one of the 2 part urethane injectables. Slowly inject the slug, like inflating a balloon. When the urethane sets leave the needle in place to prevent leaks. Its going to take several syringes.

DOnt over inject! You will still have to model the antenna (EYEs) for later addition. You can use alginate a good grade, (sorry vandkes but your stuff sucks) The better the grade the better the mold. Once the alginate is set, remove the slug clean the mold up with water and lightly dry the inside of the mold with a hair drier.

I would mix 50/50 bondo and resin for the cast. since the big thing is you are dealing with time, these guidlines should get you started./

Interested too

This response submitted by Judy on 9/14/04 at 9:50 PM. ( leaf-art@horizoncable.com ) 207.135.101.22

Laurie, I'm interested in how this comes out for you. I collect all sorts of stuff (not just taxidermy) for a kids museum. This could be important! E-mail me. By the way, have you tried drowning the slug in beer first? They keep their antennae out sometimes this way.
Judy

Don't waste beer like that!

This response submitted by luther on 9/15/04 at 1:06 AM. ( ) 206.74.88.113

LOL

John, just curious...

This response submitted by marty on 9/15/04 at 10:53 AM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

...why inject urethane? What's the purpose? To keep the slug in position?

check the fishing takle shops

This response submitted by ice on 9/17/04 at 7:15 PM. ( ) 209.23.201.236

for the worms i see alot of you asking about check out the your local tackle shop and see what they have there are some baits on the market that really do look like a live worm about the slugs check the tackle shop for them allso they might have them
Ice

Have you tried freeze drying?

This response submitted by Paula Hicks on 9/20/04 at 5:37 AM. ( ) 68.88.188.8

We have a local taxidermist here who has a freeze drying machine. That process seems to work on mammals and birds with very litte distortion. Or perhaps a craft or pottery shop could provide a ready made mold.

Return to Beginners Category Menu