Denatured Alcohol revisited

Submitted by Raven on 9/15/04 at 2:18 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

A lil more info to the Denatured Alcohol debate.

I checked at work where we have industrial sized quantities of the stuff... and it breaks down the make up of "Denatuured Alcohol". Now perhaps differnet manufacturers have different mixes or whatever... but the stuff we have labelled from the chemical supply company in Canada lists "Denatured Alcohol" as containgin 85% Ethanol and 15% Wood Alcohol (Methanol).

Ethanol is a food grade alcohol and is safe for human consumption. Additives ARE introduced as Ken mentionned, though ours contained no benzyne etc.. the Methanol is nasty and can cause blindness etc. so you still can't drink "Denatured Alcohol".

Anyway - I know someone had asked what its called in Canada and it's still called Denatured Alcohol here.. and I thought Id toss in the percentages of the make up of the stuff I use in case anyone was wondering what additives there are. Sounds like there are different mixes available comparing what I have and what Ken mentionned... maybe that will help someones project if they need certain ingredients for certain tasks.

It basically boils down to "Denatured Alcohol is an alcohol product which is largely food grade Ethanol, with harmful additives of various types and proportion added to it".

Hope that helps =)

Return to Beginners Category Menu

HOW?

This response submitted by dontaddup..... on 9/15/04 at 3:18 PM. ( ) 129.43.43.200

How can it be 85% ethanol, 15% methanol and contain benzene?

Last I checked 85 + 15 = 100....

did you read the post at all....

This response submitted by Griz on 9/15/04 at 3:25 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.130

he clearly said that the particular product they were using "contained no benzyne etc.. "

I also said...

This response submitted by Raven on 9/15/04 at 5:35 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

I also said that there appears to be different mixes. The ingredients I mentioned differ from those Ken mentioned, yet they are both Denatured Alcohol. Hence my summary of "Denatured Alcohol is an alcohol product which is largely food grade Ethanol, with harmful additives of various types and proportion added to it". **Various types and proportions** - ie - there is a variety of possible additions.

Thanks Griz.. I *thought* I had made it clear so there was no room for confusion, but the anonymous poster had me wondering for a moment.

denatured alcohol

This response submitted by samantha on 9/15/04 at 7:46 PM. ( ) 203.220.110.233

I found out thats what we call 'metho' here. (
according to the people who make it)
We use this for everything from household cleaning especially glass and jewelery but also use it as bbq fuel, stain remover & a moisture remover/drier what ever you want to call it.
And.....
certain types of people over here DRINK IT! I am not kidding.

forgot

This response submitted by samantha on 9/15/04 at 7:48 PM. ( ) 203.220.110.233

Its 96% ethanol.

There are several formulas for Denatured Alc.

This response submitted by John C on 9/15/04 at 9:45 PM. ( ) 66.233.156.237

I use to buy it by the barrel from a company in Wichita KS, I bought Mil.Spec and it would set a hide and make you think it was ruin, stiff but rubbery like you had soaked the hide in Formalin.

But water will relax it.

Actually the denatured stuff never was food grade!

What happens is the distillation of mash at the wrong time will produce methanol. It take a bit tighter quality control to brew the good stuff.

I will bring some of the good stuff to the next WTC!

Return to Beginners Category Menu