Skull/horns cleaning question

Submitted by James on 9/15/04 at 5:16 PM. ( jamesvbarb@yahoo.com ) 209.163.128.50

I found a ram's skull on my land. It's in very good condition with large curving horns. All the flesh/skin is gone.

I've been searching the forums, but still have a couple of questions.

1. A lot of posts deal with removing the horns. Is this a necessary step? What is the purpose? If they need to be removed, how do I reattach them?

2. The outside of the horns are very rough. If I start polishing it with sandpaper, are there any special concerns I need to consider?

3. What is the easiest/best way to whiten the skull up?

4. Do I need to do anything special to preserve the teeth?
Thanks in advance.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

It's all in the achives

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 9/15/04 at 8:10 PM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

All your questions have been answered in the achives. Use the orange search button.

DEERMEISTER

This response submitted by tom on 9/15/04 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 66.82.9.40

your an ass. Why can't you just help him. Why must you be a prick?

Go to hidetanning.net

This response submitted by Evelyn on 9/16/04 at 6:03 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.142

www.hidetanning.net has a good article on skull cleaning which also covers the removal of horns. You may want to read it before you try to do anything to the ramskull.

another thing James

This response submitted by Evelyn on 9/16/04 at 6:05 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.142

do not sandpaper the horns. Leave them natural. You can wash them off once they are off the core and either wipe them down with linseed oil (sometimes tends to give them a yellowish look though) or better yet spray them lightly with WD 40. This will bring back the color in the horns. I would not do anything else to the horns especially not sanding them.

Thanks Evelyn

This response submitted by James on 9/20/04 at 10:34 PM. ( ) 24.28.113.98

Thanks Evelyn.

I actually found your article on Thursday(!), but got to busy to call and ask any questions.

Am I correct in assuming that removing the horns is NOT an optional step?

James

Return to Beginners Category Menu