How do I dry a bear skull so the teeth don't crack?

Submitted by Jenelle on 9/1/04 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 208.162.149.200

I have a bear skull (as well as some other mammal skulls) that have been cleaned by dermestid beetles and now I need to figure out how to not crack the teeth. I am going to freeze these skulls to kill any remaining beetles that may be inside and then I will be putting them in hydrogen peroxide to make them a bit whiter (for display), but I find when I try to dry them after all of this, the teeth tend to crack. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Bear teeth

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 9/1/04 at 3:36 PM. ( Eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 63.86.173.157

Good Luck! If you find a way please let me know. Every bear skull I have ever worked on or seen 90% of the teeth are cracked. It sems this may be linked to the enamel layer thickness on the idnividual.

Other mammals as well?

This response submitted by Jenelle on 9/1/04 at 3:46 PM. ( ) 208.162.149.200

I have had problems with this in other mammals as well. Do you find the same thing? I have tried many different ways and seem to get the same outcome. It doesn't seem to be the freezing/thawing or even putting it in hydrogen peroxide that cracks them either, it seems to happen when I dry them - either in a drying oven or in a fume hood...

polyurethane

This response submitted by Danny on 9/1/04 at 5:39 PM. ( ) 65.125.36.138

When I do bear skulls, I spary clear polyurethane on the teeth when they're raw. I always soak them in water for a few days before I simmer them (with a degreaser to get some of the grease out before their "boiled"), and when I take them out of the water, I spray them again. Then I simmer them in water, sal soda, and borax. After I get the meat off, I spray them again. Then I put them in a degreaser for 5 days, and spray them again. Then I bleach, and guess what? Spray them again, and seal the skull. It might be over-kill, but they don't crack. The trick is to not let them dry-out without the polyurethane.

Thank you!

This response submitted by Jenelle on 9/1/04 at 5:44 PM. ( ) 208.162.149.200

Thanks! I think over-kill is better than cracking so I think I will try this. I have had many teeth cracked already so this sounds like a good thing to try!

Return to Beginners Category Menu