not useing hide paste

Submitted by Thomas on 9/18/04 at 10:53 PM. ( ) 4.155.21.233

I saw a little info on this subject but not much any way here goes.I am wondering about the neccesity of useing hyde paste,is it really needed?.My 2nd deer mount(my own 4 pointer)that I mounted about a year ago - I used a torch to burn & roughen the form surface then used I beleive it was a dextrine type hyde paste.Anyway recently I decided that I would remount the 4 pointer useing a different form & cape but also thought it would be a good idea to cut off the muzzle,an eye,& an ear to have parts to practice painting ect.After doing so I noticed that the hyde paste held very little that it was mostly the shrinkage & pinning that held it to the form also I have a video can not recall off hand which one but he did'nt use any paste. I realize that drumming can acur but would the pinning take care of that?,is dextrine paste not really good? is the answer epoxie pastes? thanks for any replies!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Thomas

This response submitted by George on 9/18/04 at 11:38 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.196

Using "dextrine" and "hide paste" in the same sentence is a contradiction of terms. Dextrine worked OK when we had paper forms years ago, but with the foam forms, it's just not as effective as the newer products on the market. I don't care what ANYONE says, dextrine doesn't work like Epo-Grip epoxy or water base or Buckeye Supreme. If you're using dry preservative, you should never use anything but Epo-Grip Epoxy. Conventional glues cannot and will not withstand the extreme pressure of a dry preserved hide.

I'm sure the "experts" would disagree

This response submitted by Greg F on 9/20/04 at 12:40 PM. ( ) 65.174.66.2

but I never use hide paste on my deer. And I can say I have never had a cape drum or any other problem because of it.

Return to Beginners Category Menu