what would happen if i dont use preservatives?

Submitted by dale on 9/19/04 at 7:06 AM. ( ) 62.252.192.5

what would happen if i dont use preservatives?
also im a complete beginer. how can i make my own manakins?
what do i use to actually stuff it?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

No preservatives

This response submitted by up north on 9/19/04 at 7:26 AM. ( ) 64.201.200.114

It Is possible to mount a walleye for example without any preservative
providing you clean and cut out the gills brain case all flesh
I've done It with 100 percent good results the skin just dries up per usual

Why?

This response submitted by Doug on 9/19/04 at 8:58 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.159

A cup of borax in enough water to cover a fish skin is guaranteed to preserve the skin indefinitely. I've got bass on my wall that I mounted 40 years ago with only a borax soaking overnight. A big box of borax from the grocery is under $4.00 and will preserve a LOT of fish skins. You're headed for serious trouble if you skip such an important process...for so little money. Yes, you can carve your own bodies out of foam. This has been covered many times in the archives. An alternativee is to fill the skinned AND PRESERVED fish with "fish filler." Fish filler is a commercially available powder that is mixed with water to make a thick "putty." It is easy to use and inexpensive. Don't cut corners to save money. Use the best materials you can. Your fish will only look as good as the materials you use. Good luck.

Serious Trouble?

This response submitted by marty on 9/19/04 at 9:25 AM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

I don't know. I THINK "up north" is correct that with some less greasy species that you could probably get by without ANY preservatives. But as Doug said, "why"? A Borax solution or denatured alcohol/water can be used over and over again for a few pennies a fish. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk...

Preservatives

This response submitted by DW on 9/19/04 at 9:43 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.143

What would happen if you didn't go to the bathroom

Dale

This response submitted by George on 9/19/04 at 11:50 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.101.13

Your question verifies your experience level and I'd strongly suggest you do some serious reading before you attempt anything. The archives on this site are filled with information you need. Just click the orange SEARCH icon to the left and type in all your questions one at a time. You should have enough to keep you busy for awhile and you'll be much better off for it.

the reason why

This response submitted by dale on 9/19/04 at 6:28 PM. ( ) 62.252.192.5

the reason why i want to know if you have to use preservatives is.
i live in the u.k and it is hard to get hold of, more or less anything to do with taxidermy. and its a rabbit that i want to do.
is there no other method that i can use what doesn't include having to order? thanks for your reply's.

the reason

This response submitted by dale on 9/19/04 at 6:37 PM. ( ) 62.252.192.5

the reason i am wandering if i you have to use preservatives is, i am from the u.k and it is hard to get hold of anything to do with taxidermy. is there no other way to preserve it? without having to order anything off the internet. also it is a rabbit. thanks for you reply's.
i am 16 and hope to reach your levels in expertise in the future!

Return to Beginners Category Menu