Has anyone

Submitted by Ronney on 9/28/04 at 9:39 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.213

used the new Krowtann 2000 thats in the new Van Dyke's book? I was just wondering what kind of tan you will get using this? Thanks Ronney

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Its great and use the search button, type in Krowtan 2000

This response submitted by John C on 9/28/04 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 66.233.156.237

Its been out for a couple of years now and is a very good.

The man behind it is Brian Harness, here is the way I tested it.

I bought some through one of our regular supply houses, it worked great. So a few months later I try it again, the same way it works great.

I will admit I am friends with Brian, but I gave it an honest eval. I used Krowtann products from other suppliers so there is not any bias.

Read the directions and do them exactly step by step and its going to work.

..used it in the Auto-Tanner...

This response submitted by Adam on 9/28/04 at 10:51 PM. ( amctaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 24.158.244.37

..With great results also. Mixed it up as you normally would and let the skins roll in there for a day. I took them out and thinned them on the flesher and then put them back in for another day. Then I pulled them and fleshed a last time. Neutralized, then oiled the hides (it says you don't have to, but I had better results oiling them afterward).

I also reccommend salting them for at least a few hours, because it seems to help the tan penetrate better. I salted a one deer for about 6 hours before I put it in the tanner, and put the other in raw and the salted hide came out a little better feeling.

Overall though, it is a great product with very little work involved in producing a nice, white skin with good stretch. It does have a hell of an awful smell though! Use it somewhere where you have good air circulation...

Return to Beginners Category Menu