from the tannery

Submitted by Jeff on 9/20/04 at 10:05 PM. ( j-jmassey@sbcglobal.net ) 4.226.90.71

I just recieved a whitetail cape for the tannery. I wanted it back wet tanned but it camed back dry tanned. When I sent it off it was an 17 inch cape. My problem is, when I got it back, I had a hard time sliding my arm through the neck area. What can I do to get it to fit on the form. I know I need to rehydrate it but how, and how long. Then what.

Thanks for the help.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

rehydrate

This response submitted by Drew on 9/20/04 at 10:09 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.227

First thing I would do is double check it is indeed your cape. Did you punch the cape?

I soak mine in a 5 gallon bucket with luke warm water, and about 1/3 cup salt. I let it soak for a couple hours then pull it out, drain off the excess, and put it in a trash bag in the refrigerator overnight to "sweat." It will rehydrate and then you can stretch it back out to fit your form.

Thank You

This response submitted by Jeff on 9/20/04 at 10:16 PM. ( ) 4.226.90.71

I wanted to wait until I got it back before I ordered the form.
Once it is rehydrated then I can measure again before ordering the form, Is this correct

Yes...

This response submitted by Dan on 9/20/04 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 216.255.211.201

You are correct. But, I would contact the tannery to see how "they" suggest you rehydrate. Different tans rehydrate differently.

Measuring

This response submitted by Drew on 9/21/04 at 12:40 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.188

Yes, once it is all hydrated, then stretch it back into shape (within reason). Once it is nice and stretched out and laid flat, then measure it, and order your form. I always wait until I get a cape back from the tannery before I conclude a proper measurement, then I order my form.

Jeff

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 9/21/04 at 1:29 AM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 152.163.100.196

Another thing I do after rehydrating. I put a couple stiches in to close my t-incision and put a small lawn tractor inter-tube in the neck, inflate until I can tell it is slightly expanding the cape and then put in the bag to sweat overnight. Sounds crazy but it works! Peace- Jeff F.

Return to Beginners Category Menu