Paint colors?

Submitted by Dave on 9/30/04 at 2:55 PM. ( furandhides@usa.com ) 216.134.171.36

I checked in the search area and there where quite a few answeres on what kind of paint to use. My ? is what colors should I use for a Blacktail deer and coyote. I have the Breakthrough catalog and it says burnt umber and Black Umber but I cant find these colors in the Research Catalog. These will be my 1st mounts and I want to do it as cheap as possible until I get the hang of it. I know to match the colors to the deer but I am color blind and what looks like pink to me could be completly wrong. Any advise on the basic colors to order would be great. Hopefully I do the colors right. I dont want my 1st mount to look like a kindergartner painted it. I will be using an airbrush

Thanks
Dave

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Standard colours

This response submitted by Raven on 9/30/04 at 5:41 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Don't rely on any one companies brand so much that you don't understand tha basics of paint and colour - to do that you limit yourself in any artistic field AND in your ability to take advantage of sales etc one company has simply because you aren't sure what 'colour it represents' from someone else. Colour is colour - the same colour under two different names will still look the same whether you call it 'chocolate', 'dark fudge', 'raw umber' or 'black umber'. With that little background in mind.. Burnt Umber is a deep reddish brown, and black (aka dark or raw) umber is a deep brownish black. Animals can show variety in colour between speciements so also - don't get entirely hung up on that 'one perfect shade'. Understanding how colour works and what the general names are are much better. Go to an art store and look at the tubes of oil paint there.. they almsot always have basic 'real artists' names like "cadmium red" not "fire engine" etc. That will get you on your way to knowing where colours come from.

Thanks

This response submitted by Dave on 9/30/04 at 9:27 PM. ( ) 216.134.171.36

Thanks for your help Ravrn. It makes it easier to know the real name of some colors. I saw in Jonas catalog the had the color "Deer Ear". Would that be just a white, a Flesh, or a cream Color?. Again thanks for your help

Dave

No Idea...

This response submitted by Raven on 9/30/04 at 9:39 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

No Idea what deer ear would be.... I mean - if Im lookin at a deer - I know how to mix the paint to match that colour perfectly.. but to make up a colour based on a name? Id probably guess the same as you in colours.. now what base to make that from by using 'real' colour names? hrmm - titanium white (a white colour obviously), raw sienna (yellowish brown... when mixed with white can generate colours from 'pie crust' to 'bleached bone' and lots of other common items). Probably a teeny smidge of burnt sienna to give it warmth (like a reddish brown - like baked red soil). Possibly some dark blue (deep phtalo blue) as well... deoxygenated veinacious blood often casts a blue hue through skin.

If yer serious about learning colour.. start by getting a good colour wheel from an art supply store. Once you get used to how colours work, you'll never want to buy pre fab colours with funny fish or animal names, or rely on 'paint schedules' again. All those things are pet peeves of mine... just marketting ploys to cater to the ignorant and makes 'art' into a 'craft' by putting it into the hands of everyone - regardless of talent or knowledge. Rely on your own skills and knowledge and not some companies product and you'll begin to stand out from your competition.

reference

This response submitted by Raven on 9/30/04 at 9:46 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Another point - this is where good reference coems in to play. Remember that a lot of the colour you see in skin is effected by the blood underneath it. Dead skin looks differnet from calm living skin which looks different from active, running around skin. I think this is overlooked in a lot of art. The old school painters always added navy blue to their mixes to create shadow when doing portraits. This classic rendering is all but forgotten now as 'artists' shade deeper areas by adding more dark browns to skin tones to create portraits. The result is very flat and muddy looking - not the photo realism of portraits a century old or more. Be sure to get good reference of living deer ears or whatever else you want to paint and base your work on that =)

Hope this helps!

Raven

This response submitted by Dave on 9/30/04 at 10:33 PM. ( furandhides@usa.com ) 216.134.171.36

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to give me so much info. It will help out alot.

Thanks
Dave

Dave

This response submitted by predator on 10/2/04 at 11:58 AM. ( ) 69.72.56.74

do yourself a favor, and use the colors that have ALREADY been pre mixed for you, available through most taxidermy supply companies. most of the timhe they are right on, and have already been tweeked for you. why make a mountain out of a mole hill, as roven suggests. you are not painting the mona lisa,"funny fish or animal names, or rely on 'paint schedules' again. All those things are pet peeves of mine... just marketting ploys to cater to the ignorant and makes 'art' into a 'craft' by putting it into the hands of everyone"I guess roven, that "I can do it for you, e mail me if interested" is not a marketing ploy, catoring to the ignorant? get real.you are the biggest preacher this board has ever had.and by the way roven white is the absense of color

Return to Beginners Category Menu