Mounting skunk question

Submitted by Mr. T on 9/24/04 at 7:24 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.172

The search button seems to provide answers to skunk smells, but I cant find anything on what I need. I need to know how, and what to use for the tail when mounting a skunk. A wire and clay? artificial tail bone? Asking for help. Thanks guys and gals. Mr.T

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Mr. T

This response submitted by Coyote on 9/24/04 at 8:22 PM. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.89.168

I usually keep all the tailbone's from the animals I mount, so I can reproduce them when I get ready to mount the animal. There are different ways you can reproduce them. They can be wrapped on wire with tow, or any similar product. You Also can rebuild them with clay, such as Critter Clay and insert them into the skin before the clay dries, then position the tail to where you want it. I also have used the foam neck material use for bird necks, and insert a wire into it, then take my Dremel tool with a 1/8" carving/engraving tool to take down the foam to the measurments from the original tail. Or take a measurment from the original tail and purchase one of the flex-tails from the suppliers which is as close as possible to the original one and use that. You may need to remodel the flex-tail some to fit, but they will work.

Coyote

Thanks Coyote

This response submitted by Mr. T on 9/24/04 at 9:06 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.172

I bought the skunk cased, no tail bone to work with. Would silicone chalk and wire work? It would be bendable after the chalk dried.?

just do it the easy way

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 9/25/04 at 1:12 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.44

Roll out some clay, close to the size you need, or a tad bit smaller. Freeze it. Lube it with glue and slide it into the tail. As it thaws, squeeze it into shape and push it around for fit, then insert a wire or two. It doesnt get any easier than that, trust me.

sounds better

This response submitted by Mr. T on 9/25/04 at 5:24 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.9

Thanks Bill, good idea, sounds easy. What size wire should I find?

sorry man

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 9/25/04 at 8:24 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.112

Off the top of my head, I dont recall. Stiff enough to do its job, and yet soft enough to shape as you need.

Return to Beginners Category Menu