can i use powdered borax to prserve fish

Submitted by charles on 9/24/04 at 9:32 PM. ( ) 207.69.138.204

hey guys i know the search button is to the left but could one of you guys tell me how to preserve a fish with powdered borax?i read that a cup of borax to enough water to cover fish on a question below this one is this a good way?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

The formula and many others...

This response submitted by Todd B on 9/24/04 at 9:48 PM. ( ) 4.224.54.59

Are in the archives as you mentioned. I do not mean to sound like an ass but what could be so hard about doing a little research on your own? I and many others learned on our own. Yes Borax and water can be used.

Todd B

borax o.k.

This response submitted by up north on 9/25/04 at 6:02 AM. ( ) 64.201.200.38

Yes borax will work for fish
I have found thou It sure can stain things
after you got fish mounted you'll have to wash the mount
with warm water and some dawn maybe to get all the borax stains off!

two differant ways?

This response submitted by up north on 9/25/04 at 6:07 AM. ( ) 64.201.200.38

Well there Is two differant ways of using borax
you can make a borax solution like you Indicated
and just let fish soak for day?Or you can rub It In to a fresh
skin and/or a combination of both work also.Mount Immediately
cut the gills out clean out the jaw meat get a chiesel and clean out the brain cavity[all the brain casing]

I've never seen borax "stain" things

This response submitted by marty on 9/25/04 at 9:17 AM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

In fact, by sprinkling powdered borax and brushing head to tail with a soft scrub brush will bring out the color in some fish.

I would rinse the fish in cold water prior to mounting. Rub down the fish gently head to tail with your hand as you're rinsing to get off the excess borax.

Rinse it very good as a fish heavily treated in borax will sometimes cause incompatibility problems with any water based glues or pastes you're using on your form...

use a pickle

This response submitted by ed on 9/29/04 at 8:48 PM. ( enfonger@hotmail.com ) 142.165.110.225

I just went through traing bought the business actually and if u want to be professional in your work use the proper pickle for fish. borax works great for birds and yes its cheap but with fich pickle u know it will do its job and u can leave it in the pickle for a long long time

Return to Beginners Category Menu