How much tme does it take to mount?

Submitted by Chris on 9/25/04 at 11:30 AM. ( ) 68.105.155.100

Hi, I am learning about taxedermy and would like to find out how much time of hands on work do you put into a mount? Average?
How many hours do you spend on a Deer head mount?
Duck?
Fish?

Can you estimate how long it took you to complete a deer head mount when you first stared out in comparrison to where you are currently, havin developed certain shortcuts etc...?

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Will give it a try

This response submitted by Michelle W on 9/25/04 at 4:56 PM. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.64.114

From caping it off the skull to finishing it out my first deer took probably a total of 10 hours. The last deer I mounted ( I've done 12 so far) probably took me around 5 hours from start to finish. I've only been doing taxidermy for about 2 1/2 years. Every deer I do so far takes me less and less time to complete.

I don't mount birds.

A Large Mouth Bass probably takes me 4 or 5 hours from start to finnish. I'm realy picky with my fish when it comes to mounting them. I've only mounted 4 LG Mouth Bass and I'm still learning how to paint them.

Michelle W

5hours to mount a deer from start to finish

This response submitted by charles on 9/25/04 at 9:53 PM. ( ) 207.69.138.201

how in the world can you pull that off if you tan your own capes noway i dont see how you cant skin,flesh,salt,pickle,shave,tan,mount then finish work in 5 hours i just cant believe that, i put that many hours in mounting a deer then another hour or so in finishing a deer just cant believe that or am i just slow?

I'll try

This response submitted by Joe V. on 9/28/04 at 12:58 PM. ( ) 63.241.157.113

45Min to cape out deer. I chisel the scull out so I do not have much to sew up.

10 min to put it in the tann I use Krowtann so no salt and resalt!

1 hr fleshing, turning, and cartilage removal work

45min to prep the mannequin and scull plate

3 hrs to mount. Remember I only have to sew little bit.

45min to finish the dry head

Huh!

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 9/28/04 at 4:35 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.144

Joe.V, you chisel the skull cap? Wouldnt it be faster and easier to make a slightly longer incision in the cape and sew it? Allowing you to remove the entire skull and saw off the cap.

don't be in a hurry

This response submitted by mike on 9/28/04 at 9:42 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.144

If you are worried about time, your mounts will look like it. Don't be over concerned about time. Treat every mount as an individual. Lets face a fact here, quality does'nt come from quanity. Don't get hung up with short cuts to get the job done faster. Take care of the wrong ways of doing things and get the right ways, the time will cut it's self down with out hurting quality. Remember an extra 15 minutes per mount can make a big difference. I know, all of you who reads this think that time is money, which is true, but if you rush and screw it up loosing that customer will hurt more than if you took a little more time and extra care making it the best it can be.

Charles

This response submitted by MichelleW on 9/29/04 at 2:50 PM. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.64.15

Charles,

Who said anything about tanning? I didn't. I use Dry Preserve on all my deer and small mammals. I only tan deer if requested. Anything bigger than a deer is also tanned. If you read what I wrote I said " It PROBABLY took me 5 hours from start to finish". I've never realy sat down and timed myself. But I know I can do one in less that 6 for sure. If you want next time I'll break it down for you.

Michelle W

charles

This response submitted by mike on 9/29/04 at 5:17 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.137

Your not slow, you are probably that good. Not racing through a mount makes for a better mount.

thanks mike

This response submitted by charles on 9/29/04 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 207.69.136.204

I try to do the best job I can do on everything I mount even if I wasnt a taxidermist I wouldnt want a taxidermist to mount my deer in just 5 hours heck if he told me he done it in five hours id refuse the mount not downing you at all Michelle I just couldnt and wouldnt even try to mount a deer in 5 hours.

It's not like it's my goal.....................

This response submitted by MichelleW on 9/29/04 at 10:45 PM. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.64.101

It's not like it's my goal to mount a deer as fast as I can. I take my time. On average it will sometimes take me anywhere from 5 hours to 8 to mount a deer depending on what condition the deer is in. 5 hours is constant non-stop work. Not including lunch breaks, coffee breaks, bathroom breaks, sewing holes, repairing ears, or preping the form ( which only take 20 minutes), etc.

Michelle W

Return to Beginners Category Menu