removing the shield is a .....

Submitted by rob on 10/24/04 at 7:09 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.204

i have searched but is there an easery way to remove the shield thanks, rob

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Easier than what?

This response submitted by George on 10/24/04 at 8:54 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.141

If you're looking for a potion or a spell to cast to make it just fall off, the answer is no. If you're doing it by hand in one inch strips, then the solution is a fleshing machine. Even that takes work. The pressure washer guys use one of those chain saw carving tools to assist them and I guess that's easier, but I don't like wearing hog meat.

Rick Carter

This response submitted by DaveT on 10/24/04 at 9:16 AM. ( ) 64.72.57.250

Sure made it look easy in his video.

DaveT

Give this a try

This response submitted by Don on 10/24/04 at 11:07 AM. ( ) 68.94.38.185

I use a scalpel, well...... several scalpel blades...... and work with the skin towards me. I roll the skin away from the shield as I cut it away from the shield. I am right handed and work with the nose pointing to my left, rolling the skin with with my left hand. The shield comes off in one piece per side.
Until I started this method, it took me for ever to remove the shield, but now it comes off quickly.
Give-her a try and see how it works for you.
Good luck.

Rob,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 10/24/04 at 12:38 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 65.227.21.233

You might want to check into this:
http://whitetaildesignersystems.homestead.com/hardtissuetonic.html

The suppliers are listed on the Whitetail Designer Systems website.

Rob,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 10/24/04 at 1:07 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 65.227.21.233

if you have a Mad Scientist Hat stuck away in the closet somewhere, you might want to check out this article, and get your hat out.

http://www.hidetanning.net/STOP-ROTfreezer.html

Needless to say, pig skin isn't the same as deer skin, BUT similar techniques as you see in the article MIGHT work on boar shields. I haven't tested from this standpoint, and I do not know if any individuals have or not.

What I would suggest that might well have possibilities would be to inject as much STOP-ROT as possible with a hypodermic needle between the epidermis and shield. Saturate the flesh side, and epidermis side over the shield, and then freeze the skin for AT LEAST three weeks.

If you, or anyone else, tries this, I would appreciate hearing about the end results. Did work, did not work, almost worked, whatever, others sharing their experiences, and observations helps to keep the parts and pieces to the puzzles coming together.

Rick Carter was skinning out a sow

This response submitted by George on 10/24/04 at 2:33 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.141

LMAO. Sorry Rick, couldn't help myself (course, it's probably true anyway. LOL)

Don, that's the old method of doing it and even when it's easier, it's much harder than a fleshing machine.

Removing Hog Shield

This response submitted by WB on 10/24/04 at 7:37 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

Get a carpenters draw knife,put a razor edge on it, put the hide on a beam, and cut it off. Have done it for a FEW YEARS now like that, and it won't take long.

My method

This response submitted by Luther on 10/25/04 at 1:42 AM. ( ) 206.74.88.76

I use a Necker Knife that I hand sharpen untill it will shave my arm. Then I put the hog on the beam and go to work. I can have one fleshed to the dimples in about 30-45 minutes.

shaving hides thin

This response submitted by gena on 10/25/04 at 11:40 AM. ( ) 64.68.176.148

just starting, how do you know how thin to shave? what tool will help beside getting a fleshing mechine? how are the hides look after tanning? stiff? mine take alot of work to get soft.they are white and well tanned.what are you talking about the "shield".mostly doing elk and deer so far.

Return to Beginners Category Menu