easiest and cheapest way to remove flesh and tan racoon hide

Submitted by bill paugh on 12/11/04 at 1:00 PM. ( paughsmoke8@aol.com ) 64.12.116.203

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP,
I HAVE JUST RECENTLY STARTED TO COON HUNT AND HAVE TAKEN 8 MONSTER COONS LAST SAT. NIGHT. WELL MY KIDS AND NEPHEWS SEEN THESE MONSTERS AND WANT THEM. COULD SOME ONE PLEASE SEND ME THE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON REMOVING THE FAT/FLESH AND TANNING. I DONT HAVE MUCH MONEY TO SPEND ON A BUNCH OF PRODUCT AND THE HIDE SIDE DOESNT HAVE TO BE SOFT AFTER ALL THESE WILL BE JUST FOR DECORATIONS ONLY. I REVIEVED AN ARTICAL ABOUT SOAKING HIDES IN AN ACID SOLUTION TO REMOVE FAT AND FLESH WILL THIS WORK?
PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Coons

This response submitted by Bradlee on 12/11/04 at 3:07 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

MISTER ORANGE BUTTON HAS TONS OF HELP ! As far as simplified , once skinned , scrape the meat and fat from the hide as best you can (try to get it all and take your time so you don't make holes ). Then , if you don't care if they are stiff hides , rub borax into the skin side nice and thick ( borax can be bought in any laundry section in the stores . like 20 mule team ). Tack the hides to a piece of plywood and let them dry out . I think maybe the article with soaking in acid bath might be pickeling which does not remove meat or fat .
Bradlee

BRADLEE

This response submitted by BILL on 12/11/04 at 3:27 PM. ( paughsmoke8@aol.co ) 152.163.100.135

BRADLEE,
AFTER RUBBING THE BORAX IN SHOULD I TURN THE HIDES IN SIDE OUT WITH THE HAIR SIDE ON THE OUTSIDE? HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE FOR THE HIDES TO DRY? AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST WILL THERE BE ANY ODERS

Bill

This response submitted by Bradlee on 12/14/04 at 11:14 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I only gave the very simple basics here . If you want a soft hide , that is not the way to get it . As for odor , soak it in white gas ( liquid colman fuel ) then rinse well and wash with dawn dish soap and rinse again. I brain tan my hides . Just remember , the orange button ! way more info there than I could type ! Good luck Bradlee

Return to Beginners Category Menu