need some wisdom

Submitted by swampman36 on 12/13/04 at 6:25 AM. ( )

I just stated taxidermy tanned some hides with ez100 they came out nice,then I tried krowtan,did a coyote it came out nice and soft,heres my question,I was doing a deer cape following directions to the T,had it in the baking soda neautralizer,had a family emergancy had to leave,came home 4to 5hours later the cape had swelled clear out of the 5 gallon bucket i had it in,is this normal or did I hurt the cape it was kinda sponge feelin I wash it in cool water, the in liquid tide, then rinsed real well,but it still seems to be swollen,will it go back to the original size I have it drying( hangin up so i can mount it today ) I could use any info on this .Did this ever happen to you?
thankyou for your time

Return to Beginners Category Menu

salt water

This response submitted by Daveh on 12/13/04 at 12:09 PM. ( )

If you soak a hide for a long period of time with out salt in the water it will soak up and retain water. It will feel real rubbery. The only success i have had is to soak them in a salt water solution until they were back to normal. I can't remember what it's called when that happens but i know there is name for it.

acid swelling?

This response submitted by johnny z on 12/13/04 at 6:02 PM. ( )

but maybe mr. Rittel would know better

Return to Beginners Category Menu