need some wisdom

Submitted by swampman36 on 12/13/04 at 6:25 AM. ( swampman36@yahoo.com ) 67.174.137.220

I just stated taxidermy tanned some hides with ez100 they came out nice,then I tried krowtan,did a coyote it came out nice and soft,heres my question,I was doing a deer cape following directions to the T,had it in the baking soda neautralizer,had a family emergancy had to leave,came home 4to 5hours later the cape had swelled clear out of the 5 gallon bucket i had it in,is this normal or did I hurt the cape it was kinda sponge feelin I wash it in cool water, the in liquid tide, then rinsed real well,but it still seems to be swollen,will it go back to the original size I have it drying( hangin up so i can mount it today ) I could use any info on this .Did this ever happen to you?
thankyou for your time
swamp

Return to Beginners Category Menu

salt water

This response submitted by Daveh on 12/13/04 at 12:09 PM. ( ) 68.249.224.74

If you soak a hide for a long period of time with out salt in the water it will soak up and retain water. It will feel real rubbery. The only success i have had is to soak them in a salt water solution until they were back to normal. I can't remember what it's called when that happens but i know there is name for it.

acid swelling?

This response submitted by johnny z on 12/13/04 at 6:02 PM. ( ) 206.67.234.35

but maybe mr. Rittel would know better

Return to Beginners Category Menu