casting with jeltrat

Submitted by Mobleys Ridge Top Taxidermy on 12/15/04 at 10:40 AM. ( mobleysridgetop@yahoo.com ) 12.163.89.134

How do i get a good cast out of jaltrat? The stuff is not cheep i redo it over and over. I hate it. Is there a less expensive or a easyer way to do a cast on a fish head? Thanks for your help.

Thank You!
Lisa
Mobleys Ridge Top Taxidermy

Return to Beginners Category Menu

LOL

This response submitted by DaveT on 12/15/04 at 6:13 PM. ( ) 64.72.57.250

Wait till you start playing with RTVs. Alginae is about as cheap as it gets except maybe plaster, but then again time is money so who knows.

DaveT

Yes

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 12/16/04 at 6:57 AM. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.151.115.73

You can use bondo thinned down with resin to cast the head. If you have an open mouth make a plug with wax or jeltrate and RTV. After that is set you then make a mold of the head with the bondo resin mix. From there after you pull out the head and all, grease it real good with carnuba wax, polish it and do one more to be on the safe side. Then pour another mix of resin and bondo in it let it set up and then throw or place it in a tub of semi boiling water. The outer shell will lift of from the cast and then you take it out and peel the outer shell of like a banna. Once done you'll have a highly detail head.
Also Bill Gaither has a good one by going to www.TaxidermyReference.com .

Return to Beginners Category Menu