Room Temp.

Submitted by Jason on 12/25/04 at 12:32 AM. ( nixjmoney@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

Hello, right now I am using the same building for everything,salting mounting, etc.Im wondering if I can add some heat, and at what temperature will I start to damage hides or cause excessive bacterial growth while salting and drying,also,I live in western Oregon and it is fairly damp,Thanks.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

room temp

This response submitted by kato on 12/25/04 at 7:23 AM. ( nikkiastoria@aol.com ) 64.12.116.136

Jayson,
Iam no expert but i also live in Oregon up in Astoria and since 1997 have been salting and drying my stuff in a basement shop. I use a little radiant heater to aid the drying time and so far have not encountered any problems.I try to keep the temp around 60 degrees and try not to let it exceed 63. I also keep a fan going to keep the air circulating. It gets a little damp otherwise so i store them after drying in another room upstairs that stays warmer all the time so i dont have to keep my heater running. So far so good. Nice to see another taxi from Oregon here. Hope this helps .Happy Holidays,e-mail me if i can help with anything in the future.
Kevin Miller
Saddle Mtn. Taxidermy
P.S. where ya at?

Temp. Is Not A Problem.......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/25/04 at 10:52 AM. ( ) 216.148.246.90

Moisture will cause more problems than the higher temperatures. Get them dry! If it takes heat.....do it! If you live in an area of high humidity, than that will have to be delt with, too. Even at higher temperatures the salt will do its intended job, but if the himidity is high it will draw moisture from the air. In your area a dehumidifyer is probably as important as heat.

What are you guys doing....Sitting up waiting to see Santa? LOL

old fart is right

This response submitted by paul on 12/25/04 at 5:13 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

i prefer to do my skinning fleshing salting in a seperate building from my studio-shop, here in the east we have a hard time drawing moisture out of the hides/capes. i salt one day, shake off resalt for another than i move my capes into my shop where i have a dehumidifier parked in front of a large card board box and hang them in there for a day to draw out the moisture that remains, my indoor temp is around 70 deg. works good here.

Crazy

This response submitted by John on 12/26/04 at 12:45 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

I know some of you will say I am completely nuts but I have salted hides in the middle of a 100+ degree South Texas Hot as Hell Summer in a shop that is not at all climate controlled. The damn things drain off very fast and are rock hard in 2 or 3 days. I have never had a problem. I do however put a fan on them to move air around the area to keep the fly population back. I also resalt them after draining.

Thanks

This response submitted by Jason Nixon on 12/26/04 at 2:16 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

Thanks everybody

Return to Beginners Category Menu