BIRDS TO FISH?

Submitted by Clint D on 2/3/05 at 10:53 AM. ( clint@new.rr.com ) 69.23.73.129

I just started taxidermy and have done 3 pheasants. Each better than the previous. I was quite happy with the last one. I doubt they are professional quality yet but I expect that to come with time and practice. I would like to try either fish or mammals next. I will get books and videos on whatever I choose to do. I am leaning towards fish before mammals. Is it recommended to one before the other? Not to start any debates but was also wondering if mammals (squrrel-deer) are easier or harder than fish (panfish, walleye, pike, bass). Thank you in advance for any advice/information. Clint D

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Just my opinion

This response submitted by Mike G. on 2/3/05 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 12.32.34.61

but I feel fish are the most difficult on the patience scale and mammals more physically demanding. Clint if want to start on fish dive in! Go slow and you will learn and have fun!

I would go with fish, but that's just me - lol!

This response submitted by marty on 2/3/05 at 12:03 PM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

(I only do fish).

My recommendation comes from strictly a econmical standpoint. Hunting seasons are pretty much over and open water fishing will start pretty soon. So acquiring specimens would be easier/cheaper with fish. If you're going to eventually try both, then why not fish now?

i was going to say....

This response submitted by Griz on 2/3/05 at 3:19 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.77

don't trust marty or cecil, they're just biased. Come to mammals... don't go to the darkside!...LOL J/K i second marty.... just for the fact that you will be able to get all kinds of practice critters, and have all spring and summer to practice them. Get the Breakthrough fish mammal, and learn the basics until you can start catching a few to work with. But like Mike g said, fish require more patience, and experience, and skill. You should also get a decent airbrush if you haven't already. If you ain't got patience maybe you should play with mammals a while. But you will be buying practice critters.

Return to Beginners Category Menu