skin problem on a tanned hog hide

Submitted by Jason on 2/18/05 at 6:57 PM. ( flalawman1978@aol.com ) 205.188.116.203

I have a problem with a hog hide i tanned. When i removed the hide form the luntan F, I noticed that the black skin was peeling, Where now you can see the white under it. What has happen ? and what can i do to fix it? thanks J

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Hog slippage

This response submitted by Hogger on 2/18/05 at 7:09 PM. ( ) 4.7.217.210

Lucky for you (and me) hogs will often slip at the dermis before hair falls out. If that hide had been a whitetail you'de have hair falling out. The outer dermis is slipping likely because it was subjected to bacteria. This shouldn't be a problem especially if this is a black hog because air brushing will take care of that. Don't lose too much sleep over it. And don't peel anymore of the skin on purpose. Most of the skin will adhere once the mount dries out. I bet your peeling was around or behind the ears? Hog hair roots are deep in most parts of the skin and they will likely stay strong unless you really treat the hide bad.

So this is not a big deal

This response submitted by Jason on 2/18/05 at 9:27 PM. ( flalawman1978@aol.com ) 205.188.116.136

So Hogger your say'n dry it, oil it and slap it on the form and just paint over it, And yes it is behind the ears and one other small place.AS you can tell this is my frist hog mount
Thanks Flalawman

That's about the sum of it.

This response submitted by Hogger on 2/19/05 at 12:35 AM. ( ) 4.7.217.210

Except that you may want to review your tanning process so you won't have worst problems. On a hog and at this degree of "slippage", yes it's not a big deal. Yeah, you should try to speed the drying behind the ears some with a fan after mounting. Pat dry it with a towel before mounting. Don't wipe. That will cause more skin to peel. In the future you may want to apply some stop rot to those sensitive areas while you work the cape. Good luck.

Return to Beginners Category Menu