Is plugging sheep like a ...

Submitted by John on 2/26/05 at 1:12 PM. ( ) 24.177.78.254

trailer stretcher or is it really a procedure? If so what?

Thanks, John

Return to Beginners Category Menu

LMAO John

This response submitted by George on 2/26/05 at 1:50 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.135

If you're serious, the answer is "no". Because wild sheep are relatively rare, their value has become phenomenal. To preclude black marketing the animals skulls and horns, MOST states and provinces require that the animals be checked in at government check stations. At those stations, the sheep are checked in to insure they meet the legal size restrictions (if not, they're confiscated and the hunter is fined heavily, BTW), the horns have a small hole drilled into the back side of them and a metal PLUG is driven into the horn signifying that the animal is legal and has been checked in properly.

It is a real procedure

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 2/26/05 at 1:54 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

Usually done on Big horn sheep. I have never seen a dall sheep that required a plug, including the one I shot in Alaska. The State that the Sheep is killed in drills about a 1/2" hole in the back side of the horn and taps in a "plug". The plug states where the sheep was shot and what year. Basically just proof that the Sheep was legally taken and accounted for.

Thanks,

This response submitted by John on 2/26/05 at 3:08 PM. ( ) 24.177.78.254

I saw it on a previous post and wasn't sure what they meant. Thanks, for taking the time to answer.

John

Return to Beginners Category Menu