How and when do you sew cuts in a whitetail cape?

Submitted by Joe Nowak ( a real beginner ) on 3/12/05 at 7:40 PM. ( nowak@new.rr.com ) 24.29.185.13

Earlier I had the question about torn ears. You guys gave me some great advice. Well Ive made another rookie mistake with my cape. After hearing all the horror stories about not thinning a cape enough, I guess I got a little over zealous and cut and thinned a little too hard. I don't have a fleshing machine, just my trusty fillet knife. Well, needless to say I now have a couple of 3/4 inch long cuts to sew up in my cape. My cape is now back in the pickle for another day. I am basically clueless as to how to sew up the cuts. Do I sew them when the cape is wet, like right after the neutralizing, degreasing, rinsing, etc, or do I wait till later. When do I sew? I assume I sew from the hide side, right? Do I push the needle all the way through to the hair side or just barely catch the leather on both sides of the cut? What do I use for thread? Can I use something I can buy locally? Could someone just give me a mini course on when, how and what to use?
Thanks, The Rookie

Return to Beginners Category Menu

not asking for much

This response submitted by Mr. T on 3/12/05 at 8:15 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.33

Relax,,,relax,,, it is not the end of the world. Sew the holes up just before you mount, after the tan and oil. You can buy some sewing thread and needles from a taxidermy supply company. That is where you will get the tools that are made for the job you are doing. You can get thread and needles at Wal-Mart, but only if you are going to make a dress. Some taxidermy tools you can get from the junkyard, but the best tools are at the taxidermy supply companies.
Sewing is easy, you will figure that one out, it is not rocket surgery.

Sew them up after tanning.

This response submitted by John C on 3/12/05 at 8:27 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

People play with the cape and skins at the neutralized station to LONG!

It is there when a skin can build up bacteria and slip.

Sew then up just prir to mounting

Return to Beginners Category Menu