swan

Submitted by chris on 3/13/05 at 7:35 PM. ( ) 65.212.160.74

I'm new to birds but i have a friend that shot a swan legally down south and i was wondering if it would be the same as mounting a duck and what things i should do or watch out for before i start mounting it.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Just the same only worse

This response submitted by George on 3/13/05 at 7:49 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.136

Chris, this would be a great experience for you, but swans are just simply huge. To make your work easier, I'd strongly suggest buying the body, neck and artificial head instead of attempting to use the real head and making the parts. You'll also have to learn to contend with HUGE wires if you're going to have it flying. Standing, it's similar to a turkey. Good luck.

swan

This response submitted by sumner on 3/13/05 at 11:03 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.229

I do about a dozen a year as they are legal with a draw tag in Utah. Here are some hints for a flying swan...Size 10 or11 style123 tohickon eyes with any artificial head. I like 3/16 gauge wire for the wings, I buy it in 3 foot lengths and they work fine. I use a 1/4 inch wire for the neck and wrap my own, the prefab ones are great diameter but tend to be wobbly. It takes my tumbler with corn cob grit 40 minutes to nearly dry one, then blow thoroughly with air compressor and touch up with hair dryer. I hang it by the feet up off the ground and really dry them well. Swan have a tough skin so you can really do an excellent job degreasing them, but they are huge and will take plenty of time! Make sure you clean the marrow out of ALL the wingbones and deflesh that end wing joint. I prefer cotton and clay to rebuild the wing muscles and love liquid nails liberally in the wings, which when dried is very secure. Rebuild the eyerings and do touch up with apoxie sculpt. The neck will give you the most trouble take your time and don't get frustrated. I know there are reference photos of a swan head in the Breakthrough archives. Good Luck-take your time and don't quit even when it looks like things are going south-swans are just like that!

Return to Beginners Category Menu