Fleshing with bench grinder?

Submitted by Wolf Man on 3/23/05 at 10:36 PM. ( ) 24.151.151.81

was doing a search on something else and read where someone was fleshing with a bench grinder. Was wondering if anyone else does it this way and how they like it and if it realy works. Thanks for your time.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

A note to George

This response submitted by Wolf Man on 3/23/05 at 10:44 PM. ( ) 24.151.151.81

I have to say that sometimes I speak up without knowing all the facts. With comes with being a beginner I guess. I snaped at you once and now after doing my homework and reading on here every day I have to say I'm sorry. Didn't know you well enough to say what I did and I wish I could take it back but I cant. So I hope you will forgive me. I look forward to learning as much as I can from you and everyone on here.

Yep

This response submitted by Jerry C. on 3/23/05 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 64.242.58.17

Wolf Man I did all my fleshing this year with a bench grinder and a 6" wire wheel worked great.I am a little slow at it but it is a lot faster than by hand which I was doing> I have done deer bobcat and squirrels so far. I am going to get a better grinder mine boggs down on heavy flesh on a deer.But all in all I like it and you cant beat the price I have $22 in my set up

Cheaper

This response submitted by Wolf Man on 3/23/05 at 11:00 PM. ( ) 24.151.151.81

Sounds alot better than the cost for a fleshing machine when your starting out. LOL

Wolfman, you don't owe me any apologies

This response submitted by George on 3/23/05 at 11:39 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.136

I get as I give and it's just part of this site. I've said some things I'd have liked to have retracted as well. (Not many, but some. LMAO) Best of luck to you.

Now the grinder, I'm on record with it as well. I'm sure it WILL work, but I'm just as sure that it carries a heavy burden of heat convection to the hide with the inherent possiblity of slipping. I'd still recommend a fleshing beam and a draw knife before a grinder. Just MY OPINION, however.

I use a wire wheel - I like it.

This response submitted by mrcobaltblue79 on 3/24/05 at 12:06 AM. ( mrcobaltblue79atyahoodotcom ) 216.175.44.160

Hi Wolfman,

In fact, I just got done finishing up a whitetail cape with the wire wheel. I have a grinder with an 8 inch wheel. I think it has a 1/3 to 1/2 horsepower motor. I went to Farm and Fleet and purchased a course 8 inch wire wheel. I "dressed" it by pushing a 2X4 against it while it was running and then I cleaned several rasps with it before I did any type of hide work with it. I use the wire wheel for mainly the face of the deer. I have not found it very practical for thinning large portions of a hide so the majority of the hide/cape, I thin with my Mini-Flesher, BUT when it comes to thinning the face, eye lids, lips, nose, etc. I really love the wire wheel. It will thin a face almost paper thin with out cutting through the cape. (Of course you still have to be careful about "burning" through) Just keep the face parts moving across the wheel and don't press down very hard.

One other thing you should buy is a variable speed switch that is specifically designed for small motors. I picked on up at Grainger's for around 20 bucks. I wire up a deal where this switch is able to be plugged in to an outlet and is inline with the grinder with out having to do anything at all to the grinder. It will have a dial on it so you can set the speed of the motor slower for working around the nose, hair follicles, and eye lids. Then, when you get to thinning the not so sensitive areas, you turn the motor up and really get to it.

If you are frustrated with cutting holes with the scissors or the skive knive trying to get things really thin, give the wire wheel a try on the face. I think you will like it.

If you have any questions, email me at - mrcobaltblue79 at yahoo dot com.

I still don't believe this could work

This response submitted by Jack F on 3/24/05 at 12:28 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

There is no way you could ever convince me that you can thin a deer cape with a wire wheel. It just does not have the cutting ability that a round knife has. My 2cents.

coyotes and wire wheel

This response submitted by terryr on 3/24/05 at 1:02 AM. ( ) 12.34.180.132

i use wire wheel and grinding wheel exclusively on coyote shoulder mounts - i salt overnite and then when flesh is firmed up i use grinder - takes me aobout 35-45 minutes from start to finish - use wire wheel on whitetail faces b4 mounting - take off most flesh on face with bean and scalpel - i also have rotary knife but for fine work grinder is a GODSEND

I use mine!

This response submitted by Tony J. on 3/24/05 at 6:27 AM. ( ) 208.135.164.209

I do all my finall fleahing on my grinder, it works for me! works best on pickeled hides, Never had one slip!
I wouldn't try on a raw hide.
You can even thin the inner eyelids, lips, and nostrils paper thin!
Belive it or not!
Tony J.

Hand grinder

This response submitted by Bob on 3/24/05 at 9:14 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

Iuse my 4" mikia Grinder like a mini fleasher,it works good it gets a little heavyand its a little messey,i use diffrent type of wheels.With some practice it will get you through just be carefull you don't burn.The high rpm's seem to remove the fleash much better than the bench grinder.

You guys are desperate

This response submitted by Roger E on 3/24/05 at 5:33 PM. ( ) 216.220.27.197

You remind me of the line in a song that reads "if you've never had a T-bone steak, peanut butter tastes just fine", if you ever get serious about taxidermy, and experience the use of a round knife,(or a fleshing wheel), you will understand...happy fleshing/thinning.

tried it

This response submitted by Christine on 3/24/05 at 8:21 PM. ( ) 65.19.65.4

As a newbie, i did try the bench grinder first. I have fleshed small animals (fox, fisher, squirrel) with it, and the air created by the spinning wire wheel i feel keeps the skin cool, at least my hands feel cool. The only thing is i have to use water to keep the skin moist. Works really well to remove the fat layer on fishers.

As far as shaving a deer cape after the pickle, it just doesn't thin a cape like a fleshing machine. i tried and tried, but couldn't get it as thin as i can with a fleshing machine, which i did eventually buy (used of course). My capes on the bench grinder never got close to the original size. I still use the bench grinder for thinning areas on deer like the eyes, nose, lips, etc. Works ok for that. Still good for shaving smaller animals too.

So i would go with both a fleshing machine and the bench grinder. Each has its purpose.

dremel tool

This response submitted by Croc on 3/24/05 at 8:52 PM. ( ) 162.39.24.47

i use a quebec lite for most of my cape but use a dremel tool with a barrel sander for the face work, thins very well and by keeping your fingers under the skin as you flesh you can feel how thin and how warm the skin is getting, works great , i know a lot of people can flesh the faces with the rotary blades, ive sen it done, im just not that good and the dremel works fine for me, good luck, Croc

Man o man

This response submitted by Ray on 3/27/05 at 11:17 AM. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 63.188.105.124

I figured this subject would be beat to pieces by now. check out the archives. under wire wheel fleshing. you will find all the info you need to know. and if your currious about the set up. drop me an email and i will send you my schematic of my set up. Variable speed 1//2hp or 3/4hp is the way to go. . Also, I prefer to let the red meat on. and cold wash the cape in dawns dish soap. tuble for 15 minutes which makes the hide plump up and the red meat swell. Once you take it to the wheel. boom just rolls right off. . Ray

Return to Beginners Category Menu