Citric Acid to degrease skulls?

Submitted by Trevor on 7/13/05 at 3:27 PM. ( trepid@palacenet.net ) 206.176.199.75

I recently heard that citric acid can be used to degrease skulls. Has anyone else heard of this or use it as a method of degreasing? I know little about it, and can't find anything on it in the archives.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

I doubt it...

This response submitted by PA on 7/13/05 at 9:50 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

Acid isn't really a degreaser. I did try one of those citris based degreasers a couple years back by placing a deer femur in it for a couple months at full strength - it did NOT work.

It won't work well

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring/Epo-Grip on 7/14/05 at 12:31 PM. ( ) 70.148.166.138

Trevor,

Your going to have to use an alkaline degreaser to get the best results. Epo-Grip's Bloodout Degreaser works well for skull degreasing. There are several products that will do the job.

Try...

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 7/14/05 at 7:55 PM. ( thepredator AT alaskaspiritcrafts.com ) 64.4.229.155

going to Costco (if you have one handy) and buying the concentrated industrial degreaser by Kirland, I believe it comes in gallon size for $6-7. Ever since I tried this, that's all I've been using. I use about a cupful in 5 gallons of warm water (if I have that many skulls) and it works great.

Wolfie

Industrial Cleaner

This response submitted by Lee D. on 7/15/05 at 2:39 PM. ( Blackmageshadow@hotmail.com ) 209.86.74.4

If worst comes to worst, and you are low on your budget, can't get anywhere and need it quick (I experienced that problem) You can use Dawn Dish soap or Pine Sol. Van Dyke's "Van Clean" is probably a more concentrated version of Windex (ingredients are alike and it smells the same).
Only take my advice if you are in dire need.

Thanks

This response submitted by Trevor on 7/15/05 at 9:34 PM. ( trepid@palacenet.net ) 206.176.199.81

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm kinda experimenting right now trying to find the best way to degrease well without resorting to laquer thinner or acetone - I don't really care for the fire, health, and disposal issues.

Wolfie, I think the degreaser you're talking about also goes by the name Simple Green - I'm not positive though. It's readily available here - I'll give it a try.

Return to Beginners Category Menu