New to taxidermy, some beginner questions.

Submitted by Ramiro on 8/17/05 at 11:53 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.11

I've been interested in hunting and fishing all my life and lately into taxidermy. I think it's so cool. I've gotten interested enough where I'm sure I'm going to give it a shot, I know I'll like it. I saw a show on TV about taxidermy the other day and it made me wan to try even harder now. I read somewhere a while back that tanning skins was difficult and best left for professionals because it's hard to get the skins soft and perfect, is this true? The book was old, I was hoping things have changed since then. It also said it was hard to do at home. I'm mostly interested in doing skins and fish, I want to buy a freezedryer to make fish mounts. I like the fishmounts where the fish look realistic and are all shiny, what chemical do they spray/paint them with to make them glossy? Can it be done to freeze-dryed fish? What chemicals are good for tanning skins? Thanks a lot.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Tanning Questions

This response submitted by Don on 8/18/05 at 3:17 AM. ( ) 69.212.188.195

Not true. I have tanned deer and squirrel hides using a mix of water salt and alum. The key is to have the hides well fleshed before tanning, all flesh and membrane must be removed. Now you can buy tanning kits, with the modern methods and softening oils it is not difficult. check out this site www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_l/l-103.html
It gives the salt alum method and some others.

tanning and fish taxidermy

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 8/18/05 at 11:25 PM. ( mhoneyATmindspringDOTcom ) 207.69.4.123

Ramiro, There are hundreds of entries on the subjects you asked about under the "search" button to the left. As you are seaking basic information I suggest you try the search and read a while. Good luck and enjoy, Aaron H.

Return to Beginners Category Menu