Bobcat mounted on ebay

Submitted by Eric R on 8/31/05 at 8:37 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.225

first of all I am not knocking anyones work, but I would like to know if the bobcat here: http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-BEAUTIFUL-BOBCAT-TAXIDERMY-MOUNT-WILDLIFE-ART-NR_W0QQitemZ7178077262QQcategoryZ22702QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is this typical acceptable work as far as a bobcat goes, it is going for almost 400 bucks I have never mounted a cat and am a litle intimidated by the mouth, I am looking at the teeth and gums on this cat it appears there is no paint, as well as the musculature and posture, and well... I am sure my 10yo son could duplicate these results. now please don't misunderstand me I don't wan't to be insulting my son is good, real good for a kid who writes like a chicken. I just want to know if that would be accepted by the average customer. I know it's not a comp piece I'm not a complete idiot.
the pictures on ebay are impeccable quality as well as the page layout.
if my paste job dosent work it is 7178077262

THX

Eric

Return to Beginners Category Menu

e-bay

This response submitted by paul on 8/31/05 at 9:58 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

not knocking anyones work here, i would think every customer would have a different level of acceptance. that being said, would you expect a 400 dollar bobcat to look as good as a 900 dollar bobcat?
every yr i loose work to cheaper shops! guys will spend 5000 dollars to hunt huge whitetails in saskatchawan and only spend 300 on a shoulder mount while i charge 500. if someones willing to spend 400 or 1000 on this cat i guess its acceptable,to them. keep your eye on ebay and you will occasionally spot a cat of exceptional quality! sometimes selling between 800-1700 dollars. is there a difference?

Cat on e-bay

This response submitted by Ray on 8/31/05 at 10:28 PM. ( ) 4.227.117.1

You are right, there is a big difference, you get what you pay for. I am lucky enough to be married to a professional artist and when I get ready for my work to be finished I just hand the mounts over to her. I have been a taxidermist for 39 years and I thought I was good until I let her finish my work. Also sometimes the pictures on ebay do not give the exact color. I sold a bobcat on ebay a couple of month ago and the nose looked pink same as the one you are talking about and there was no way the nose was pink on the cat I sold. Talking about hunters spending $10,000 on the hunt and $300.00 on the mount, I am having trouble getting the clients to pick up the mounts. Anyone else have this trouble?

Ray

This response submitted by paul on 9/1/05 at 8:59 PM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

on my work order/contract it simply states the customer has 30 days to pick up their completed mount from the time their notified. after that see ya in small claims court and their paying the court cost and any lost wages i may assume from their neglect to pay up. also get a good deposit and they will be more likley to be prompt when it comes time for pickup

Thanks

This response submitted by Ray on 9/1/05 at 9:11 PM. ( ) 4.90.9.1

Thanks Paul! I never had trouble from clients until this year. Maybe one deer head a year out of 180 heads. This year I have heads hanging all over the place and season is about to start soon. I guess I will head to small claims court.

eric...

This response submitted by terryr on 9/1/05 at 9:33 PM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

i would like to see your first bobcat - since your opinion of yourself relative to other's work is very high

Terry

This response submitted by John on 9/1/05 at 10:37 PM. ( ) 68.206.86.247

You sure do spout off alot at people. I think it looks like crap too. If I paid to have it mounted I would be Pissed off in a big way. The left front leg looks broke and the open mouth has no life. It is a very poor job in my opinion.

the high opinion is not of myself

This response submitted by Eric R on 9/3/05 at 9:42 PM. ( ) 67.150.218.176

actually it's my opinion of my son's work which has yet to truly be seen, I believe he could duplicate those results. My question was "in an experienced taxidermists opinion what would be acceptible to a customer paying in the neighborhood of the 400.00", it seems high to me, I look at it and see flaws first, then the rest, I know not everyone sees this the same way.
I do believe I mentioned I have never mounted a cat because I feel intimidated by the amount of detail required to make it seem alive,(somewhat to that effeect) and then again it could be because I own a cat and see what perfect looks like. I don't own a deer and I feel my deer look quite good, never absolute perfection, but maybe then again if I owned a deer I would chuck it all and become a ?.
the kid wants to persue this and I will back him we just want to gauge his level of competency against others without actually entering competition, travel, time off, missed school, etc...
I'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings here I just wanted to see what other persons felt about this is it trash is it common work from a paid taxidermist or purely amature.
Thanks again ER

Return to Beginners Category Menu