How long can you freeze a bobcat?

Submitted by Tim on 9/8/05 at 1:41 PM. ( ) 69.224.37.191

I was wondering how long you can freeze a bobcat before you skin it or send it out to mount? Just curious if extended freezing will impact mount or skin quality. Thanks.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Bobcat

This response submitted by Dennis on 9/8/05 at 4:37 PM. ( ) 4.90.15.245

It depends on how you have it froze. In the freezer without any wrapping it will not last long. In a bag it will last about 2 to 3 months before freezer burning. Wrap it in wet towels or wet rags and put it in a bag and freeze it and it will last over a year without any problem, probably longer. The ears, nose, eye lids,lips and feet will freezer burn first. This is from my personal experience.

freezing critters

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 9/8/05 at 11:28 PM. ( mhoneyATmindspringDOTcom ) 207.69.12.201

Tim, You can freeze pretty much anything for as long as the freezer lasts---well that's an exageration but animals will freeze a long time. The hitch is as Dennis points out that freezer burn happens. Not a big deal, just part of dealing with frozen stuff. Injecting dried areas with warm water works amazingly fast. Having said this it is still better to deal with things before they get too dry. I would skin the cat and freeze the skin if you are not ready to do something with it. Then double bag that carcas pushing most air out of the bag so you will have it to compare to the form to make the adjustments in size. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Thanks

This response submitted by Tim on 9/11/05 at 4:12 PM. ( ) 69.224.37.191

Thanks everyone for the response. Great forum and great information.

Return to Beginners Category Menu