Deer points

Submitted by Ed on 10/14/05 at 8:27 AM. ( ) 194.80.20.10

What do you guys mean when you say "a 5 point deer"?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Is that "Western" or "Eastern" count?

This response submitted by George on 10/14/05 at 8:33 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.136

Points on a deer, by acceptable standards, are the tines coming off the beams of an antler. A 5 point Western is in reality a 10 pointer. For some stupid reason, the Western count only counts one side of the antler and when they match in number, that number is used; i.e. four points per side would be a 4 pointer. What makes that system even dumber, however, is when there's an odd point on one side then they have to add "by" in the equation; i.e. a 4 by 5 would be a standard 9 pointer back East. To top that off, on mule deer, the Western count is nearly always used, HOWEVER, if the mule deer has eye guards or brow tines, they don't count at all. You'll hear "a 6 x 5 with eyeguards" for what Easterners would say is a 13 pointer. Confusing enough?

well actualy George

This response submitted by Tenbears on 10/14/05 at 10:21 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.136

Things they ha changed out west. When I was a youngster out west. a 5 point could have from 10 to 14 points. If Somme said a non typical 5 point then you knew for sure there were extras. Many people found this confusing. So people started doing the 5 by 6, 4 by 5 , etc., thing. that way everyone would know exactly how many points typical were still called 5 points, and 4 points etc. but the BY became a popular catch phrase. Now even typical are called 4 X 4 And 5 X 5 , etc., in every western state. ya know what they still argue that saying 4X4 is better than saying 8 point. Because it is a more accurate description. An 8 point could be 1 on one side and seven on the other. Of coarse the easterners claim they are smart enough to know that simply knowing how many points can never give a clear understanding of the beauty, or oddity of the rack. Go figure

I'm guilty of that Tenbears

This response submitted by George on 10/14/05 at 2:22 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.195

I've shot 10 and 12 pointers that were the oddities you mention. I'll tell a guy in a heartbeat it was a 4x6 or a 3x9 and it actually DOES make it more descriptive. I still haven't figured out why the brows on a mule deer don't count.

Return to Beginners Category Menu