sewing up whitetail capes

Submitted by Kato on 10/28/05 at 10:51 AM. ( ) 207.118.185.183

New to taxidermy, have mounted a few deer. Problem I have is when I get to the area of lower neck and back/shoulder area, the incision does not seem to come together, usually about a 1-2 in gap. No matter how hard I try to stretch I can not get it to close. Once I get toward end of form, the skin seems to come together. All other incisions seem to close alright. Any help with this problem.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Taxi

This response submitted by Bjones on 10/28/05 at 11:03 AM. ( ) 207.250.133.149

Taxi the skin forward, if your mannikin is sized correctly you should be fine. Remember to move skin toward the face not toward the shoulders.

I had that problem

This response submitted by Joey Arender on 10/28/05 at 11:06 AM. ( j32a@aol.com ) 152.163.100.136

And read where, as you sew you are pulling the cape out of place, meaning futher down the neck than it should be. So you might try to push the seam up after a few stiches or so. if you are using a long incision try a short one and you may like it better. But the short incision only saves you sewing time and if you abilities to sew are like mine then you wont have to worry about the seam showing. After the seam is sewn you can readjust the skin into place.

Thank you

This response submitted by Kato on 10/28/05 at 12:18 PM. ( ) 207.118.175.110

Thanks to all who responeded.

take more measurements...

This response submitted by J on 10/29/05 at 5:45 AM. ( ) 208.252.179.23

Perhaps on your next mount, try two things that may help.
first, try to make your vertical incision only as large as you need to remove the skull, your incision shouldn't be extending all the way down the neck onto the shoulders.
secondly, before you cape out the deer, spend some extra time and get some additional measurements, go around the neck and come down every few inches down to towards the shoulders. then when you have your mannekin, measure it off what you wrote down, you may either have to shave away some of the mannekin, or beef it up in different areas. no two deer are the same.

Return to Beginners Category Menu