Hanging a Bear Rug

Submitted by en9mile on 12/23/05 at 11:38 PM. ( en9mile@hotmail.com ) 67.185.101.126

I have a large Black Bear Rug. I want to hang it on my wall but I don't want to damage it. Any suggestions? Thanks, en9mile

Return to Beginners Category Menu

The bear...

This response submitted by jrosbor on 12/23/05 at 11:57 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

Rugs that come out of my shop have mounting tabs on all four feet and the head and tail (6 total) this gives many options for mounting. As far as will you harm the hide? Just don't drive any nails through it! Sew some tabs on the felt. Later, Joe

Couple options

This response submitted by Wolfe on 12/23/05 at 11:59 PM. ( s.savannafiredept@mchsi.com ) 12.217.4.187

If you click on the orange search button, you should be able to find more detailed info...but,

two options would be to either just go ahead and secure it to the wall with a few small nails....

or some people sew small rings..like shower curtain rings...to the felt backing. These rings can then be hooked over a nail on the wall.

If it were me....I would probably just hang on the wall with small nails. I would drive them through the hide just behind the claws.

Mounting a Bear Rug on a Wall

This response submitted by en9mile on 12/24/05 at 12:11 AM. ( en9mile@hotmail.com ) 67.185.101.126

Joe, Best option that I've heard! Everyone has been telling me to use finishing nails. I don't like this option. Do you sell the mounting tabs separate? If so how can I get some.

en9mile, go to the dreaded Wal-Mart...

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 12/24/05 at 1:32 AM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

and back in the cradt section you can find key rings in a pack of usually 5 rings. I think they sell for around $.78 Sew these on to the bac side of your rug like Joe described. Nails through a rug is CRAZY. Why would you ever want to do something like that. Finishing nails or not I think that is just a lazy way to hang a rug. Good Luck. Dan Hudzik

This response submitted by Mark on 12/24/05 at 8:33 AM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

Thats how many peeps were at our Walmart yesterday evening.
Id wait till 010206. Merry Christmas! Good Luck

Mark

Finishing Nails......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/24/05 at 11:11 AM. ( ) 64.122.57.36

......Will do absolutely no damage to the hide! If you sew anything to the felt it WILL eventually rip, felt is not a strong fabric. If you sew rings to the back you will have to get them in line with the studs on the wall where you plan to hang it! and you will have to sew through the backing to the skin if you want them to hold. A half dozen 8d finishing nails will hold your bear rug, when you want to take it down they will slide right through the hide with no damage to the bear. I've hung bear rugs like this for years....You'd be hard pressed to find the nail holes in the rug once they come off the wall. I've also been asked to repair rugs that had their felt borders and backing all ripped up by improperly installed hangers and nailing through the felt.

Nail it up THROUGH the hide! It's quick. It's simple. AND it works!

Return to Beginners Category Menu