Tanning dried hides

Submitted by Easton on 2/10/06 at 11:57 PM. ( ) 69.178.193.86

I have one beaver pelt and one muskrat pelt that I would like to tan. They have both been dried because I previosly thought that I was going to sell them as raw fur, but now I want to tan them. I got some info on using one ounce of borax and 2 ounces of detergent per every gallon of water to soften up the hides. The muskrat, i found out will be done in one to two hours while the larger beaver will take 8 to ten hours to soften. Is this the right way to do it. If so, What kind of detergent should I use? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

if they are air dired (hard)...

This response submitted by terryr on 2/11/06 at 12:18 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

this combo wont touch them - you need some commerical relaxer and it will take more than 2 hrs - i tanned an air dried raccoon for a fur buyer and had to relax for 24 hrs - get the right stuff and quit listenly to old wives tales

I don't think they are...

This response submitted by Easton on 2/11/06 at 8:40 AM. ( ) 69.178.193.108

I can still move the hide pretty easily, I didn't let them dry too hard before I decided to tan them. Their hides can be moved as I put the muskrat inside-out to look at the hair and I rolled the beaver up like a rug. Their just dry.

Return to Beginners Category Menu