2nd Guessing myself

Submitted by swampfoot on 2/26/06 at 4:50 PM. ( ) 68.187.168.29

Hey, I am arookie still at this. I am second guessing myself. Just reieved my first set of velvet antlers. Killed 2nd day of bow season here in NC (Sept 13) been in freezer since then. When I received them today I went ahead and sprayed stoprot on the antlers. Is this OK?. I put them in 3 bags and put back in my freezer til I can cape it out. Is the stoprot going to hurt the velvet?
I have been reading the archives and it looks to me that the Rittels preserv it will be the best to use for this mount. Ive never used it before. Do I soak or inject it or both. I will order some tomorrow. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Mr. Swampfoot, sir!

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 2/26/06 at 6:29 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.113.95

STOP-ROT has been used on velvet antlers since it first hit the market.

The way you have done it should be enough to make things work. I'm assuming that the antlers had already hardened underneath without any pulpy, bulbuos tissue to speak of.

STOP-ROT continues to work while subjected to freezing conditions. At temperatures at 10 degrees F., and below, three weeks in the freezer works wonders on protein structures for preservation purposes.

I might give you a warning. I frequently cringe when I see where people want to start mixing or crossing their chemicals. Too many times one chemical can either neutralize the other and then nothing works, or one Melluva hess can be created. It is always best to ask if you're not sure.

MR. Conley

This response submitted by swampfoot on 2/26/06 at 8:45 PM. ( ) 68.187.168.29

Thanks for responding. Will the stop-rot alone be enough to preserve the velvet on the antlers. If I keep it soaked with the stoprot say for a couple of weeks after I cape the head out and clean the skull cap. Man it cant be that easy can it? I think I will go out to the shop and spray some more on the antlers and keep it frozen for a while longer.

Mr. Swampfoot,

This response submitted by MR. Conley on 2/26/06 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 70.104.113.95

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but......yes, it can be that easy.

I've been trying to do computer catch up all day today, and can't get it all done. I've got my "Annual STOP-ROT updates" on my hard drive that I don't seem to get around to getting on the web. Any hoo, these are meat pieces that were treated a few years ago, and the suckers still look about the same.

I just keep them tossed around on my work bench with no special treatment. One SHOULD have been ate by bugs, at least I would have thought. Little pieces of meat left on bone or skull caps around here get bug ate in pretty short order. I've hed 'em gnaw little pieces of meat off skull caps with in very few feet of this piece.

My "theory" on this one is that it is because of a lack of odor to attract insects. STOP-ROT can kick butt on odors. That leaves another area of exploration with STOP-ROT. I haven't done a skull cap with it that has little pieces of meat left on it, BUT I really should. Only thing is, if it were under a mount, the mount would have to be opened back up at a later date to check it.

By the way, you don't really need, or want to soak it, the skin will take just what it needs. If it is puddling or pooling, that's too much.

Mr. Conley Thank you

This response submitted by swampfoot on 2/26/06 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 68.187.168.29

Mr Conley, Thank you sir. For the awesome product and all you do for us. What an awesome site to be able to come to and get info like this from the man that invented it. Thanks again for taking your time to help me out.

Return to Beginners Category Menu