Degreasers , Kemsol and kemol-4

Submitted by Jessica on 4/2/06 at 10:49 AM. ( horseelady_jessie@yahoo.com ) 207.231.119.59

Need to degrease a racoon for tanning but havn't a clue which is the best way to go. From what I understand Kemsol and kemol-4 are almost the same thing as far as degreasing go but it says they can be used together? Thinking of using Krowtann or McKenzie tan. HELP!

Return to Beginners Taxidermy Category Menu

They are not the same

This response submitted by Hogger on 4/2/06 at 8:05 PM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

Funny you ask this question because as I write, my hands reak of Kemsol degreaser as I was just degreasing a hog.

Kemsol IS your degreaser. Kemol 4 is what you add to water to wash the grease and degreaser off after degreasing. The instructions are on the bottles. There are two ways of using the Kemsol degreaser. I use the first method they instruct as they recommend it as the best and I agree. Use one part degreaser to two parts hot water (faucet hot, not boil). I use 2 ounces Kemsol to 4 ounces water for one average hog cape. Then I wash the cape in 10 gal water with 4 ounces Kemol 4 and 2 ounces Skin Prep NBU. Then I rinse the cape in tap water and place the cape in my pickle. Have fun.

Guess I should have mentioned

This response submitted by Hogger on 4/2/06 at 8:25 PM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

That the degreaser it brushed on the skin side of your cape and allowed to sit rolled up for 2 hours before washing.

Will they work?

This response submitted by Jessica on 4/3/06 at 12:55 PM. ( horseelady_jessie@yahoo.com ) 207.231.119.36

Will they work with Krowtann or do they recomend a different de greaser? Thanks for clearing that up for me to! Jessica

I've never used Krowtan

This response submitted by Hogger on 4/3/06 at 11:04 PM. ( ) 72.234.131.148

But I can't imagine that ANY degreaser would NOT be compatable with Krowtan or any tan for that matter. I do use McKenzie tan though and it all works fine.

Return to Beginners Taxidermy Category Menu