short incision?

Submitted by newguy on 4/13/06 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 12.159.234.163

what incision are some of these guys talking about on deer head mounts? on a doe mount, i can see where a guy might not have to cut the cape like on a buck. but how do you do it for a buck? this might be a no brainer question but im puzzled. any help?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

My 2 cents

This response submitted by joe V on 4/13/06 at 3:15 PM. ( ) 24.178.70.245

With a short Y incision you have to open the skin up a little so you can saw out the horn plate. Once you get the horns and the skull plate off you can then easily skin out the head. This saves you from sewing the whole back. I learned from someone to chisel out the horn plate instead of sawing it out. I don't even have to make a Y I just a V from the back of the horns. Works real good most of the time. Every once in a while you might have to still do a Y if it is a giant deer.

i like a litttle room to work

This response submitted by paul e on 4/13/06 at 3:54 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.53.167

i cut about 4 to six inches on the y
i like the room to do my clay work on the ears
i know i could do it before i slide the cape on
but im hard headed i guess
paul e

ok

This response submitted by newguy on 4/13/06 at 3:55 PM. ( ) 12.159.234.163

so the "v" cut is made to have access to the skull for removing the horns. so..once the hide is back on the manikin, then you can set the skull plate thru the v cut.

Actually,...

This response submitted by George on 4/13/06 at 3:59 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.117.13

With the short "Y", the idea is to take the entire head out of the cape. With just a bit of diligence, you can tube the neck down to that last joint and remove it from the skull without cutting the cape. I do it all the time. The secret is to find the "sweet spot". On a whitetail, if you cut right through the center of the larynx, you will hit the juncture of the spine and the skull segment. With nothing more than a sharp scalpel, you can remove all the neck completely from the cape. The BIG SECRET is to measure you deer before you do all that slicing and dicing. If you want to measure meat, you can get by, but for those of us who measure "over the hair", it's wise not to forget that this must be done before the neck is removed.

My "Y" incision goes from the back of each antler to the crown of the skull. Then the long leg of the "Y" is seldom over 4 inches long. This is more than enough to remove the entire head as long as you sever the earbutts and work the antlers free with a sharp 1/4 inch cabinet screwdriver.

Newguy

This response submitted by George on 4/13/06 at 4:01 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.13

When you get the tanned hide ready to mount, you have more than ample room to work the eyes and the earbutts through that "Y" opening. That's exactly why I Bondo the antlers on to the manikin before I ever start. I can easily remove them, slide the hide on, reinstall the antlers and do all my work by simply sliding the cape up and down the neck of the manikin.

forgot the measurement part

This response submitted by newguy on 4/13/06 at 4:46 PM. ( ) 12.159.234.163

duh! how would you make a measurement on the hide? over the hair? or tan the hide then get the width back in the cape take a measurement around the cape? sorry...im new :)

Now you're getting there

This response submitted by George on 4/13/06 at 4:59 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.13

So check the rest of this by clicking that little orange SEARCH icon on the left there. Type in "measuring a cape" and read till your heart's contented.

joe v

This response submitted by hs on 4/13/06 at 5:24 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.13

If you do as you say I have found it is easier to sew later if you make your incision in the front of the antlers. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those.

It's shown in the

This response submitted by Lance on 4/29/06 at 9:00 AM. ( murph412000@yahoo.com ) 67.142.130.29

video in the McKenzie video. Order the one that is for skinning and tanning basics. Mike Gillis shows this process really well and explains it all. I believe it's about $20.00. not too bad n so much info. If ya e-mail me, i'll give ya some help if ya need it.
good luck, Lance!

Return to Beginners Category Menu