Preserving beaver tails

Submitted by Sue Deeter on 7/19/06 at 6:35 PM. ( sjdeeter@msn.com ) 71.35.137.167

My husband & son left the beaver's tail attached to the skin. Can this tail be preserved? Or do we cut it off and buy a tail form?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

if

This response submitted by lee on 7/19/06 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 71.161.0.73

your going to mount it, cut it off and buy an artificial tail. of course you can use the real one, its just alot more work.

How

This response submitted by Sue Deeter on 7/19/06 at 7:36 PM. ( ) 71.35.137.167

I guess I should have also asked, how to preserve the beaver's tail?

It;s not easy

This response submitted by George on 7/19/06 at 11:05 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 207.200.116.132

If you want to keep the whole tail, you make an incision down the back/undersdie of the tail and start skinning out to the edges. This is greasy, nasty work that gets almost to a cartilage stage in the "meat" underneath. Those knife edges will need to have ALL that clear "plastic" looking stuff removed so that there's just skin left. Tan with the hide. When it comes back, sew it back together. You can fill the inside with clay or foam if you'd like.

The EASIEST way, however, may be to just slice down and around the tail along those knife edges. Cut away all the underneath skin and meat and just retain that top "flap" of skin for the tail.

Thanks!

This response submitted by Sue Deeter on 7/20/06 at 11:12 AM. ( ) 71.35.137.167

Thanks for responding. I will just throw it away, unless they want to do the work!

Return to Beginners Category Menu