Pheasants killing each other

Submitted by Dennis R. on 8/7/06 at 10:03 PM. ( ) 4.227.5.185

I hatched 200 pheasants roughly 10 weeks ago. Today they started killing each other. I believe I have read that there is something called peepers to keep them from pecking each other. Does anyone know where I can purchase them? Is this the thing to use? Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

uh oh

This response submitted by larry on 8/7/06 at 10:48 PM. ( ) 68.233.116.234

hey u might wanna try a farm supply.start there..good luck

Use a red light

This response submitted by Tony J. on 8/7/06 at 10:52 PM. ( ) 208.159.223.101

If you can find one. The red light will calm them down, or slow them down 50% Also you can put fresh grass clippings in the box with them, they will peck that before each other. Birds are canables, if they run out of water or food, they will peck one to death then peck there intestines out. The light and the grass clippings will work for ya! One thing though, don't use one of those 250 watt heating bulbs, you will cook them, I used a 60 watt red flood light bulb. put the box in a dark room and make sure the box is large enough that the birds can go to the other end of the box so they can get out of the heat if they get hot. One other tip... when the birds first hatch, they will fall in the quart jar waterer and drown. put some small rocks in the rim of the waterer, marbles work good to!
Hope this helps ya!
Tony J.

Feed mills, hatcheries, poultry supplies

This response submitted by Dean on 8/7/06 at 10:53 PM. ( ) 70.56.163.105

I raised those darn things for about 5 years. If you have a big enough pen and plenty of cover you won't have to much problem. I always collected Christmas trees relatives were throwing out. Build brush piles and other cover by lashing branches and corn stalks together and construct tee pee looking shelters. Build them so the birds can zig zag and slip in and out of to get away and hide from the other birds.Lots and lots of cover, the more cover the better. Also watch them, usually there is one or two agressive ones that cause the problems. Cull them out and the problem will be reduced a lot. They are the instagaters. They will stay on another bird and run it down and peck at it until they kill it. Cover allows them to get away, then the chase is over.. If one is sick or injured from getting pecked at, get it out of the pen. They will kill it by morning. Peepers work but look ugly if you want the birds for reference photos. If you want to have mountable birds use peepers. I had a 30x60 pen with netting over the top of the pen 15 feet high at the point, 4 foot high at the sides. I kept about 100 birds in the pen and lots of cover. Don't try growing vegitation in there. It won't last. I had good luck once I learned about the cover. I lost a few birds during the learning process. Then I got rid of the birds and raised deer now for the past 9-10 years. I like them a lot better.

Red light for brooder

This response submitted by Dean on 8/7/06 at 11:06 PM. ( ) 70.56.163.105

Red light works when they are in the brooder. They should be ready and it is warm enough to be outside now, Keep a red heat light in an area of the pen especially at night to keep them warm if needed. They will move closer or further away to adjust their temp. If you still have them in a small area then a heat light will cook them like Tony said. Throw fruit and vggies to them. It keeps them busy and keeps their simple minds off each other. They are to much work for me. Those roosters will look mighty sharp next spring with those full waddles and strutting their stuff. Good luck,

A chicken famer told me

This response submitted by Jessica on 8/7/06 at 11:23 PM. ( horseelady_jessie@yahoo.com ) 207.231.119.81

Just today a friend of mine who raises chickens was telling me they have the same problem, have some chickens they got at 1 day in May and they just started killing each other. They started feeding them bone marrow and that cured the problem instantly. Don't know where you get it but it seems to fix the problem.

Dennis..

This response submitted by tomdes on 8/8/06 at 7:28 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.19

Pheasants are very cannibalistic. At 10 weeks old they should be out in your main pen to get them away from each other. They need lots of space. I put blinders on my birds at 7-8 weeks, or you can try mouth bits so they can't close their mouth all the way (but they can feed fine). You can get all your pheasant supplies at Cutler supply. Their website is http://www.cutlersupply.com/

Thanks

This response submitted by Dennis R. on 8/8/06 at 9:08 AM. ( ) 4.252.244.47

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated! Dennis

All of the above is true

This response submitted by Brent on 8/8/06 at 11:56 AM. ( ) 207.224.118.211

However,

You will probably still need peepers on the roosters. They tend to get a little territorial and fight alot. The peepers will stop it. Here is a link were you can get them.
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/poly_peepers.html

good luck

Sometimes

This response submitted by Becky P on 8/9/06 at 1:54 PM. ( ) 205.188.117.66

they will peck each other if they don't get enough protein. Make sure you are feeding a high quality gamebird feed. We had that problem once with quail and it was due to feeding a lower protein feed. BP

Peepers

This response submitted by Rae on 8/11/06 at 11:22 PM. ( ) 207.200.116.196

When I raised pheasants for a hunting ranch I used muzzles. However I cant seem to find any nowadays. Check your protein levels and space. If they are crowded or not enough protein they will peck... I feed mine 27% protein.

Return to Beginners Category Menu