me to do his.I heed advise on skinning(ie;where to make insecion
)fleshing and tanning.Also are there any special problems that i
should be aware of ?
thanks for any help
Steve

Return to Beginners Category Menu

no easy way

This response submitted by Dan of GA on 12/5/99. ( ) 209.214.77.63

the only hard part is getting the shield off the hide.
i have mounted about 50 in the last few years and every
time i do one i go up on my price. start early with a box
of razors and put the cape over a 1-2 inch PVC pipe
and start cutting it off. once he is fleshed it easier
than a deer. i recomend using rick carters boar form
and jawsets from WASCO. good luck

Getting Boared

This response submitted by Critters on 12/6/99. ( crttrs99@palacenet.net ) 207.112.212.91

I mount about 2 dozen a year and recommend using Dan's way is they ONLY way to remove the hide, trust me I've tried everything including the fleshing machine (had to be there for that one!!!). Just start at the top of the back and get under the shield and stay under til it's off then do the other side. The hide should resemble a golf ball. Be careful at the top of the back (mane) as you can get down to far and lose it, flesh this on a stiff bird wheel. DO NOT make an incision it's not needed, just go round slowly like taking off a shirt.
As far as forms I think Rick's older forms (Noonkester) fit better.
Order the form by an UNSTRECHED neck measurement, the eye measurements are usually pretty close. Also I recommend using Rick's nose and jawset, don't use the real nose, it'll look like a sausage skin unless you spend alot of time redoing it.
Hope this helps, Good luck!!!
Critter

Forgot a tip

This response submitted by CRITTER on 12/6/99. ( crttrs99@palacenet.net ) 207.112.212.99

Just remembered to add a timesaving tip. To save time on finsh work I buy pink spray paint and paint the mouth interior prior to assembly.
then after the lips are tucked in a slot you only need to use a little flesh magic sculp along the jaws and top of lips.
also if you use an artificial nose you can save time by spraying with blending brown ans use a clear spray and clay flour(mud) for realism. it saves time blending the seam and the clients thinkyou did them a favor!!!
critter

Never mounted a boar head

This response submitted by Larry on 12/9/99. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

The video, Wild Boar Mounting with Tom Moore is a good one. It's available from Hide and Beak Supply Company. You can get their free catalog by calling toll free at 1-800-777-7916 or visiting their web site at www.hidebeak.com and filling out the guest book. To you,the kind people who have responded to your question, and anyone else who mounts boar, an easy and quick way to remove the shield is to do it with a wire wheel fleshing machine. If you or anyone else has any questions on this type of machine, give me a call at 218-729-8452, Mon-Fri, 9-5. Happy Holidays!

Never mounted a boar head

This response submitted by Larry on 12/9/99. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

The video, Wild Boar Mounting with Tom Moore is a good one. It's available from Hide and Beak Supply Company. You can get their free catalog by calling toll free at 1-800-777-7916 or visiting their web site at www.hidebeak.com and filling out the guest book. To you,the kind people who have responded to your question, and anyone else who mounts boar, an easy and quick way to remove the shield is to do it with a wire wheel fleshing machine. If you or anyone else has any questions on this type of machine, give me a call at 218-729-8452, Mon-Fri, 9-5. Happy Holidays!

Return to Beginners Category Menu