Fleshing Machines

Submitted by Kyle on 12/9/99. ( ) 207.1.105.14

I was thinking about purchasing a fleshing machine and was wandering what to look for in the was of options. There are several different models and styles avaialable is one better than the other or are they basically the same? Also can they be used when removing any meat and fat off the hide before salting as well as thinning the hide before mounting? Being called a feshing machine I would think that it would beable to do both but not sure. Just had a few question about them before I made such a big purchase. Thanks for any tips or advise that anyone may have.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Shaver

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 12/9/99. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 205.212.120.254

Kyle, they can do both, but are really shavers instead of fleshers. A fleshing beam and good knife are more efficient for fleshing once you get the hang of it.

There are a couple of good shavers on the market, of course I'm going to push the one that we make, but also the Eager Beaver, and Rawhide Fur Dresser model. The others I will reserve comment on. First and foremost, don't let price be your biggest selling point. If you can see the need for the machine as a big part of your business in the future, you need to seriously look at maybe making a little bigger investment that will pay off big in the long run.

Talk to people that run them, especially on a daily basis, and you'll get a better idea of what to look for in a machine.

Keith is correct on price.

This response submitted by John C on 12/9/99. ( ) 204.180.103.70

I have owned several machines over the years. Used many others. Currently own a E.Beaver. When purchasing one go with the top of the line models. Its like buying a car go with the best and you will be better off. The photos I have seen of Keiths machine looks good.

Made a thing for the next WTC would be a area where every manufacture could set up their machines for all to try. JC

Fleshing machines

This response submitted by Larry on 12/9/99. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

I used a wire wheel type fleshing machine with great success for many years on various species, up to, and including moose and bison. If you'd like to discuss this at length, give me a call at 218-729-8452, Mon-Fri, 9-5.

Quebec flesher

This response submitted by Pacemakr on 12/9/99. ( jfwagner@hereintown.net ) 209.240.200.105

I used a Quebec Fleshing machine when I went to school, and purchased one since. I've never used any other kind, but hear a lot about the Eager Beaver (good things). I really like my Quebec flesher (about $1,300.00) as it can de-fat a bear, sometimes I've weighed 25 lbs of fat removed, right to the black skin with no holes. They're unforgiving around the face and lips, but the rest can be fleshed in about 10 minutes. I've done 34 mounts, including fox, coyote, deer, caribou, and elk, and used the Quebec on all of them.

rawhide

This response submitted by Mark on 12/9/99. ( ) 207.230.196.89

We currently own a rawhide flesher . Have had good luck with it but am thinking about getting a newer machine as ours is 15 years old. I want to get one that my back doesn't hurt so much as it does. Or maybe there is some remedy to add to this machine? Good Luck, Mark

Return to Beginners Category Menu