HOW TO PROPERLY CLEAN HAIR OFF BUFFALO HIDE BEFORE TAN .

Submitted by TIM P. on 12/25/99. ( specialt9@yahoo.com ) 12.31.99.93

I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN ASKED TO MOUNT A SHOULDER MOUNT BUFFALO HEAD. I HAVE ALREADY SKINNED IT OUT WHILE AT THE BUTCHER SHOP. THERE IS ALOT OF BLOOD AND FLESH FRAGMENTS THROUGHOUT THE THICK HAIR. I DONT HAVE A LARGE SINK OR SHOP TO WORK FROM. IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME INFORMATION AS TO HOW TO GET THOSE ITEMS OFF THE HAIR, IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

ps. I HAVE DONE SEVERAL DEER HEADS, BUT THIS IS A MUCH LARGER TASK.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Try a commercial tannery for such a BIG job

This response submitted by Craig Rusin on 12/25/99. ( CRtracker@aol.com ) 24.92.226.21

Without a place to properly wash the hide I am assuming you don't have a place to properly tan an item of this size. Sometimes some of these bigger jobs are left to the professionals. I might even suggest a wet tan as then you wouldn't have to rehydrate the skin prior to mounting. The tannery will clean and shave the hide properly.

buff wash

This response submitted by mike on 12/25/99. ( the-taxidermist@yahoo.com ) 208.46.229.93

Tim-
I tanned my first buff in house,too.Way to much work!!
The rest have all gone to the tannery!
What I did on that first one to clean it up was take it to
the carwash- don't laugh, it did a great job.
Now, I don't know what the owner might have thought about it
(fortunately I didn't see him there), but the high pressure
rinse(no soap!) did agreat job of removing the mud and the blood.
Clean both sides, you can also remove a lot of the loose under
hair that has to be combed out later, then load it up , go home
and hang to drain(this also helps to speed re-cooling of the
skin). After is drains well, salt and re-salt at least 3 or 4
times- this is a thick hide and will need it.

good luck

Use a professional tannery

This response submitted by Dino on 12/26/99. ( Dinostaxidermy@cs.com ) 205.188.209.75

I wouldn't try this yourself. It's way too big and heavy. I have sent all mine to Wildlife Fur in California and have been very happy with the results. Also, be sure you charge more than for an elk -- the tanning costs more, the form costs more, and combing the hair once you are done takes a lot of time. I used a big compressor to blow the hair out and when it was done it looked sharp.

BUFFALO CAPE TANNING

This response submitted by MR.PITTENGER on 12/29/99. ( ) 12.31.99.217

Iwant to thank everyone for their response on how to clean my buffalo cape. i'm going to try the car wash method first. I dont have any thing to loose since my father-in-law owns his own buffalo farm and these were given to me to exsperiment with.
another question i have is: can I do the lutan-f tanning method just like I do a deer hide or is there something else I have to do. any good comments would be appreciated.

The shaving is the tough part...

This response submitted by Bill on 12/29/99. ( yoxtax@aol.com ) 152.163.188.198

Its not that its too hard to tan, its just that a skin that size needs more equipment than the average guy has. I, too, would balst off all the extras from the hair with the power wash. You posted your question on the 25th, I hope that the hide is still good. You must get it salted and dry first. As for the tan, lutan is fine. Pickling and shaving will prove to be a bear! That hide, sopping wet, is more than I can grunt around. Shaving that skin thin is criticle.Hope this helps, but to answer the question, yes, lutan is a good choice...I like Rittels products at this point, personally.

Do you have a FLESHING MACHINE?

This response submitted by John C on 12/30/99. ( ) 204.180.103.69

No really! It sounds like you dont have much room. So with that I am assuming no round knofe fleshing machine or huge table to lay it on while working. I did one a few years back flesfed it out on a Dakota III, salted very heavy for couple weeks, changing salt many times. once dry it weighs nothing as compared to the fresh hide.

Wet tan from a tannery is your best bet on this beast. Good luck and let us know your progress. John C

Return to Beginners Category Menu