Learn from my mistake on Ducks

Submitted by Livnlearn on 12/25/99. ( ) 63.25.207.70

For you beginners at Water fowl taxidermy, as myself, here's something you DON'T want to do!! I mounted my first Mallard and after skinning, defatting, degreasing...etc, I wired my wings, legs and tail with COPPER wire. I used the appropriate gauges, but should have known better than to use copper wire. It just does not have the rigidity of steel wire and the mount is wobbly and the wings want to sag....it's a shame, but you live and learn. If I can keep someone else from the same frustrating experience as I, it won't be for naught.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Not only that

This response submitted by Rob Patton on 12/25/99. ( Taxidermis@aol.com ) 206.150.228.62

Not only that but copper will corrode also. Just look at old pennies left laying around.

Try re-mounting it.

This response submitted by AKBIRDS on 12/28/99. ( ) 208.138.133.34

If the duck was not mounted too long ago you might try re-mounting it. I've remounted birds a couple of times, generally with good results.

AKBIRDS...are ya out there...???

This response submitted by Livnlearn on 12/28/99. ( ) 4.14.55.185

AKBIRDS,
It was put on the form about 3 days ago....do birds set-up rather rigid like other dry preserved mounts (aka fish)...??? And if so, will this help stabilize the wings...??? The feet are stable, just a little wobbly (if I can keep the kids from playing with it like a rag doll, I don't see a problem with that part of it.) If I decide to remount, should I rehydrate the skin with a water/borax mix...??
Thnks for the info.

Return to Beginners Category Menu