Sal-Soda Substitute

Submitted by Tony on 7/12/99. ( tholder@tecinfo.com )

Is there a substitute to the sal-soda solution to boil excess tissue of the
antler bases? Will regular arm and hammer produce the same results? Thanks
guys.
tony

Return to Beginners Category Menu

No...

This response submitted by John Bellucci on 7/12/99. ( ArtistExpr@aol.com )

Hi Tony,

Sal Soda is Carbonate of Soda, whereas Baking Soda is Bi-Carbonate of Soda ... chemically they are not the same. The Sal Soda, besides breaking down the proteins in the meaty tissue on the skull caps/ skulls, also degreases the bone as it boils. It does a thorough cleaning job, and should not be eliminated or substituted. Also, Sal Soda is not new. Years ago it was referred to as Soda Ash, and served the same purpose in taxidermy. Stick with the Sal Soda and you won't go wrong.

Best of luck to you ... John B.

sal soda is washing soda

This response submitted by deer woman on 7/12/99. ( )

The washing soda by Arm and Hammer is the same stuff basically as sal soda- though i generally find i have to use a larger quantitiy of washing soda than the WASCO sal soda. I have used washing soda for years now and it cleans same way as sal soda does.

Purex brand detergent

This response submitted by Jeff T. Becker on 7/13/99. ( )

High percent sal soda , does a superb job!

Oh Fab Iam Glad, the put lots of SAL SODA in you.

This response submitted by John C on 7/18/99. ( )

Fab, Tide, etc. is about the same, unless you are in south america. Don't use anything from another country EPA stuff ya know. John C

A&H Washing Soda

This response submitted by shbow on 9/11/99. ( shbow@aol.com )

I use A&H Washing Soda for skull cleaning also ,i use alot of it,so i just purchase at grocery store because its cheaper. and as a bonus it makes a great deer attractant when the powder is dumped in your deer woods and mixed well with the dirt and then soaked with water
It has been my secret for many years,but now you know!
shbow-Paul

SAL Soda or Sallie Soda ,lol

Sal-Soda

This response submitted by Liz on 12/21/99. ( lizbeth@ctaz.com )

This is not quite a response. But, I have been looking for Sal-Soda for a long time. Back several years ago you can use Sal-Soda and La France together to get the your white, whiter than ever. When they get gray, it sures brings them back. I have the La France, but that certainly doesn't do the job.
Thank you for reading this.

Hand Cleaner

This response submitted by Chad Staley on 3/3/00. ( chad_staley@hotmail.com )

I have been looking for sal soda for quite some time now. I found an old recipe for homemade hand cleaner while going through some stuff my parents had and I have been wanting to try it out!

Sal Soda

This response submitted by sheryn on 8/14/00. ( )

Sal Soda is produced by Dwight & Church. They have given it the new name of "Super Washing Soda". If you call their consumer relations department at 1-800-524-1328 they will tell you the location nearest you that it can be purchased. Sheryn

WASCO sells Sal-Soda

This response submitted by Ken Edwards on 08/26/00 at 6:56 PM. ( ) 12.159.8.176

WASCO sells Sal Soda for bone cleaning at http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/15/skull.html

Return to Beginners Category Menu