Getting rid of fleas. Tell me how!!!

Submitted by Leanna on 2/4/1999. ( scardeer@cornernet.com )

I've just recieved a very flea infested coyote, so I bagged him up and laid him to rest in the freezer. Will this kill the fleas? Also, how efficient is spraying raid into a plastic bag with the species enclosed for say 3 or so hours? WILL this KILL the fleas? Ticks I can handle, fleas I can't!!!! Lastly, whats the best initial incision to case skin this bad boy? Thanks for any help.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Thats how we do it!!

This response submitted by Jeff T. Becker on 2/4/1999. ( )

It seems like all the coyotes we receive any more have active fleas, probably due to the warmer temps... here in Ohio now adays. We just bag and tag them, drop in freezer ,then set out and skin after a week or so of being in the freezer. All appear to be dead or at least frozen until skinning ang splitting are done!! Good luck and don't let it ''bug'' you to much!!

fleas

This response submitted by frank on 2/4/1999. ( basswtrout@aol.com )

Freezing may help or give it a flea bath or spray. You can find anything you may need at a pet shop. As for the best way to skin it depends on the mount you are going to do and the shape of the form.

fleas

This response submitted by frank on 2/4/1999. ( basswtrout@aol.com )

Freezing may help or give it a flea bath or spray. You can find anything you may need at a pet shop. As for the best way to skin it depends on the mount you are going to do and the shape of the form.

case or tube skin

This response submitted by Leanna on 2/4/1999. ( scardeer@cornernet.com )

I'm not mounting the coyote, I'm just case skinning it (or tube skinning) for tanning purposes only. Customer wants to throw it over a chair. So any suggestions on the first cut? A "Y" cut from under tail towards hind legs?! This is where I'm stuck. Thanks again.

yup...

This response submitted by perry on 2/4/1999. ( pgk@ncentral.com )

leanna,

sounds like you got the idea. start from the vent and cut
down the back of each hind leg. you will also have to make a
cut on the back of each front leg somewhere below the knee down
to the pad. don't forget to take measurements before skinning,
just in-case they decide to get a rug or lifesize. both can
still be done after tanning. as for the fleas, min 48 hrs in the
freezer.

FLEAS!!

This response submitted by JEFF DENNARD on 3/21/99. ( )

USE SPRAY DE-ICER ON THE PELT,THIS WILL
KILL THE FLEAS AND ALSO AID IN HAIR SLIPPAGE.

Return to Beginners Category Menu