Wash coating on duck feet

Submitted by Dane on 2/9/01. ( dane@ohiohills.com ) 216.69.209.168

I have been trying to do a wash coat on waterfowl feet, legs and bills and have not had any good results. I can not get the paint to go down in the scales for detail. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on what kind of paint to use, where to get it and also different techniques. Thank you. I appreciate those who take the extra effort to answer.

Return to Category Menu

Acrylic colors

This response submitted by Art on 2/9/01. ( hursey1@sota-oh.com ) 216.28.80.177

I paint the feet with Lifetone, and make a wash using water and whatever
cheap acrylic craft paint I can find. Just spread it on and wipe off the high
spots. Works good for me.
Good Luck

Seal the first coat

This response submitted by JL on 2/9/01. ( wmlures@xtdl.com ) 216.204.76.225

Dane...paint the colors you want to show on feet or bills, and then seal them with any 2 part finish coat. After this is dry, spray a watered down black or dark brown color and let it set up. Now wipe the feet and bill with a thinner soaked rag to remove as much of the dark color as you want. I use all lacquer paints but water base should work the same way. Good luck....JL

Waterbase rules

This response submitted by Gary on 2/9/01. ( Taxiups@Aol ) 205.188.209.171

Dane If you first use a sealer you may fill in the scales on the feet Ipaint the feet then gently go over them with a black wash very thinned out start at top of leg using a fine brush touch brush to leg and it will run down filling in scales if scales arent dark enough keep beefing up the black. Let dry and seal.Hope this helps. Gary

I white out the feet first.

This response submitted by John C on 2/10/01. ( ) 208.44.115.94

Then do my color coating, all in laq. after it is dry, I use a waterbase paint, gill red for mallard drakes and cadium yellow for hens. just a little color and more water, brush this on and very litley with a paper towel blot them out, this removes the w/b color from the high laq/ areas, leaving the w/b down in the grooves.

Return to Category Menu