Canada Goose Identification

Submitted by Mike on 2/7/01. ( ) 204.214.132.135

I am under the understanding that there may be as many as eight to ten different breeds of the Canada Goose. I would appreciate info on how to research this, thanks.

Return to Category Menu

Geese of the World

This response submitted by Jim A, on 2/7/01. ( ) 63.93.21.130

This simple, go to this website.

http://www.utm.edu/departments/ed/cece/trugeese2.shtml

I have eleven

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 2/7/01. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 163.150.18.13

I believe there are more than eleven species and sub species of Canada goose. In my line of artificial heads I have eleven different sizes. I originally had a small medium and large as well as cackler.
I have since added small cackler, Richardson's, tavernor, dusky,lessor,as well as x-large and jumbo. That's eleven. If I can be of help please ask.
Tony

The Pacific Northwest Goose Identification Program.

This response submitted by Kris Dunckel on 2/7/01. ( krisdunckel@msn.com ) 192.94.8.250

The book entitled "Geese and Swans" which is a part of the Burk series is good, however, my understanding is the most definitive way to indentify Canada Goose species is by the culman (opening between the upper and lower mandibles)length. I took the goose indentification test required to hunt geese in the Western Pacific Northwest and there is book published associated with that test gives you culmen length and is very good. E-mail me at the address provided if you want and I send you one. Otherwise, if ordering artifical heads, the length of culmen should match you up with the correcty sub-species of Canada Goose. Give Tony Finazzo the culman length and it sounds like he provide it up for you.

Return to Category Menu